Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I offer some constructive criticism for board members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I offer some constructive criticism for board members?

Because I'm a baby boomer and they needed the room, I was the first kid in the California school system to graduate with out having passed an English class in 4 years. I never learned how to spell, never thought I'd need it. So believe me when I tell you this suggestion has nothing to do with grammer.

Some folks who make post forget to hit the "Enter" key every 5 or 7 sentences. This gives me a block of letters and words that literally fills my screen. I then have to drag a pencil across my screen so as not to loose my place while reading it.

I understand that paragraph breaks are made at the turn of a new thought. But they also got this "artistic liscense" clause in the English law books you can press into action if your work is hard to follow! I enjoy this board a lot. I like to read every new post and all the answers as I'm still learning all this. But some of the replys are awful hard to follow without paragraph breaks ("Enter" key being hit twice)

Now I expect some flammers here but most of you folks are witty enough that they should at least be funny I can handle it (I think). If I've dangled any participles here in front of you I want you to know it wasn't meant to taunt you, just my ignorance bleeding onto the page!

On another note: I found out on another board that someone thought my screen name of Your Old Dog was rude. It isn't meant to be. It's homage to the most loyal friend I ever had, a big black Lab named Phreddy. He was a Lab's lab! Everything I ain't! He been running around in my head now for over 13 years.

Thanks guys, for everything...........
    Ray....

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 03-23-2005).]
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Ray..to break up sentances we just use more of these
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I always thought that your name meant what you meant it to mean. (How's that for convoluted?) I have small poster in my office which says,

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."

Comment

OkayIgotthepictureyouwantustobreakuplongsectionsof texttomakeiteasiertoreadright?

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

How rude! LOL

------------------
          I use to hate working for someone else, now I work for everyone else!

Comment

THANKS i been wondering how you did that? that is the first new thing i've learned today, but it's still early 5:55 .
            thanks for the tip Hal

Comment

Nothing wrong woth posting that. Probably will help a few on the board, and it was posted in the spirit of friendship, cooperation, and good will.

Thanks
              CCBW, MAH

Comment

THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET

THE MORE I LIKE MY (OLD) DOG
                Barry Milton

Comment

Ray,

Thanks for bringing this up again,I put a request in a few months ago on a similar line.

A page in a book isn't too bad,but on a screen a long post without any line breaks is hard to follow,well it is for me.
                  The same goes for long links and big pictures where you need to scroll from side to side,I just ignore posts like that,it's too hard for me to follow without feeling frustrated at losing track.

Allan

Comment

Ray, I absolutely agree with you. I think it's basically presumptive at best (downright rude at worst) to write in long run-on sentences with no punctuation or capitalization.

While I'm ranting, I'll bring up that adolescent phonetic abbreviation (you know, "how r u i m fine"). I expect even the perpetrators of that "style" don't actually like to read it.

I have no problem with "loose" grammar, typos, or misspelled words. After all, we're bordering on the stream-of-consiousness at times as we post our thoughts.

I just heard that in my area there are well over a hundred different languages spoken in residents' homes - a good reminder that lots of e-mailers and forum posters are not native speakers of our crazy language. I think we should cut those folks some slack, too.

A quick ancedote -

Because of my Web site, FRETS.COM, I get lots of e-mail with questions about instrument repair, etc.

I wish I'd kept the best one - it started out:

"im jus a pore college student can u help me fix my own guitar"

Poor student, I'd say, for sure! Fortunately, I was able to stifle the reply I first typed suggesting that he put the guitar down and go back to his remedial English class. . .
                    Cheers,

Frank Ford
                    HomeShopTech

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by precisionworks:
                      THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET

THE MORE I LIKE MY (OLD) DOG
                      </font>
                      Ditto.

Comment

O

K

THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Ray,

No problem here. I agree that a long post with no breaks is hard to read and I frequently skip them or leave them till I have more time.

I always proof read my messages before submitting them. No end to the errors I find. And I still find more when it's posted. Plus, I often find ways to condense what I said. I tend to be too verbose.

Two things I wish the board had are a spelling checker and a serif font for displaying the messages. Both would make reading easier.

As for the style of some members, they are machinists, not English teachers or authors. I think tolerance is in order. We all have our strong and weak points.

TIP: When I have to read a long post with no breaks, I follow along with the mouse pointer and use the mouse to highlight the line I just finished. That helps me keep my place.

Paul A.
                          Paul A.

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Thanks guys for not letting me down I knew that some would agree and that even the flamers would be funny about it! When I've heard from Bill the Nazi I'll know we've come full circle and completed the thread!

WeirdScience takes the 1st place bell. I wasn't expecting that one. Nothing short of brilliant

Any takers on the participle I left dangling and twisting in the wind? Haven't heard from a few of the brighter bulbs on this forum yet! I'm sure more enlightment awaits the patient!

I was hoping you'd all take it in the spirt it was meant and I believe you all have. Thanks again.
                            Ray....
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Friends,

Allow me to throw my two cents into the mix. I can never resist an opportunity to rant. Thanks, Ray...

I think Ray (Your Old Dog) is right on target. I don't understand why folks disregard basic grammar, spelling and punctuation rules when posting on discussion boards or sending e-mails. At the top of my list are people who never capitalize the personal pronoun "I." Is holding down the shift key while typing the "I" key too much to ask? Does it really require that much effort?

I have news for all of you illiterate cyber geeks. Ignoring basic grammar, spelling and punctuation rules does not make you appear cool or tech-savvy. You only come across as ignorant and lazy.

Have a nice day,
                              Damphmann

P.S. I'm sure someone will find an error or two in my post. If you do, I say, "Hats off to you, my friend." My point is not every post must be flawless. I'd just like to read postings that appear they come from the keyboard of some reasonably intelligent beings.

Comment

Working...
                              X