Yehaah, found a freebie Sherline lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yehaah, found a freebie Sherline lathe

I just got my hands on an older sherline lathe - used to be a CNC trainer thing. No real tooling but for a tool post, a chuck, and tailstock. The old steppers are still there, but the cards and control box are alas nowhere to be found. Will be pulling the steppers and such, but saving them back.

Going to re-built it right back up - needs some TLC for the home. Make a few accesories. Finally, a lathe for my home. Now to find an inexpensive Sherline mill.

CCBW, MAH

Check the bottom of this web page, I almost want a cnc small mill now watching what he used his to do.
    http://www.tedatum.com/thms/BBoard/Hume01.html

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spope14:
      I just got my hands on an older sherline lathe - used to be a CNC trainer thing.
      </font>
      Mine is a D&M 3 CNC

???
      Have Fun
      Be Safe

Comment

I have full access to a shop full of bridgeports, 13 inch to 20 inch lathes, and a couple of CNC lathes, and four CNC mills. I teach the stuff, and the school allows me the full access because of the maintenance I do, and other things I do for the district. The only downside is that I can't keep a 'continuing job" going, have to tear down each evening, thus to get anything done, i have to block about four hours to do most simple jobs. However, I have never had a machine or machines of my own at home. I hope to be able to start doing some of these amazing things in my own home in the future.

Got my start on the freebie lathe. Been saving, have about 1100.00 in work I am doing teaching a side job , the savings depending on a few things, for the next tool, which will most likely be that mill pictured, a small grinder, and a "chop saw". I had this saved about three months back, but a family crisis that we are still enduring took it (death in the nearby family, and having to front some cash that will never be re-paid).

Something always seems to happen when I get within the "real close range", but maybe this time.......

The only problem I have in saving right now is that my wifes diabetes has progressed to the point where we are looking at a new home - 1 story instead of my two story farm house with a great shop cellar. Hope to get a basement..... Downsizing is such a pain.....

The freebie lathe came at a great time, for now this puts me about one year ahead of schedule, and kind of answers a many years long prayer. It is also nice to have that hobby as your own, and not on "borrowed" machinery.

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 03-25-2005).]
        CCBW, MAH

Comment

Cool!

What's the specs on the steppers that it had? And how's the leadscrews? Got any photos?

Comment

I will try to spec the steppers this weekend, or nest week. I have some old "spectrslight" steppers from the "apple IIE" machines on hand as well - five of them. Also the control boxes. The problem with these was the cards, which burned out. I re-built two very old sherlines (1985 models, maybe 1986), Spectralight Serial numbers 390 and 590. The school has these - microkinnetics controls. I hope to keep the steppers, and contact spectralight (have friends there) to see if they have some surplus used boxes and cards, or know of people getting rid of this stuff - and maybe a mill or two. the sherlines fit my workspace, which is about 14 x 10 with a 6 foot ceiling and tons of other stuff in it.

Ah, someday, a Bridgeport and a 10 inch Southbend......
            CCBW, MAH

Comment

If they are either 4, 6, or 8 wire motors, with a max. current requirement of less than 2.5A, I would just pick up a Xylotex drive card.

http://www.xylotex.com/

Comment

spope14!

Hope you get to develope your own shop in the future.

I just had to post when I read your last comments about down sizing. It is obvious that someone with your interests and talents will want a space to do your own thing. Make sure your needs are met in this regard.

One of my hobbies is amateur radio and many fellow hams are older than me. I have seen quite a few go through this down sizing thing in there retirement. It can be really sad to see.

Just when they start to have time to persue projects and a bit of there own space would be great They get conned into this down sizing thing.

All of a sudden no space to get out of site of the wife and do there own thing. They don't realise when making the change, then afterwards it's all too late.

Probably thinking were did this come from. Sorry if I'm ranting. Just a little pet peeve of mine. Ive seen it happen too many times.

John.

Comment

I had to downsize, wife's failing knees wouldn't handle the stairs anymore. I held out for a 3 car garage, it took awhile. We don't have basements in Texas, if you dig a hole it fills up with oil.

------------------
                  Mike
                  Mike

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MJMIKE:
                    I had to downsize, wife's failing knees wouldn't handle the stairs anymore. I held out for a 3 car garage, it took awhile. We don't have basements in Texas, if you dig a hole it fills up with oil.

</font>
                    Yep that's the way to go. Hehe, can you still get the car in the 3 car garage?

Gee I thought everyone would have a basement then. Just keep pumping it out.

John.

Comment

No car in the garage. A garage is for machinery and the boat (in case the oil gets too deep.)

------------------
                      Mike
                      Mike

Comment

The wife gets the house. I am building a shed to put the last of the junk in my garage(shop)into. Once thats done....it's all mine baby. I can claim another 150 square feet or so. Build a small office, about 80 sq. ft. Need some place to put my desk, puter and files. Then I can finally have the shop I have been working towards for the last 7 years. IT'S ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can never have too much space.

Comment

Scope14, Congratulations on the new score! Feels good to drag another one home for the shop don't it? It's funny how things sometimes work. Clean up that Sherline, make something with it and someone see's it at work or elsewhere and they talk it up. Before you know it the word spreads and folks are calling you on the phone telling you about friends of friends who are looking to get rid of some old iron. It helps to know what you want, let out the word and then be patient. (I think it's called "networking" today)

We downsized for reasons similiar to yours. After a 2 year search we found a small capecod in our price range with 30x40 foot three story barn in the back yard! It has taken me the better part of 6 months to ready a corner of it for my shop due to Buffalo's cold winters and my health issues but it's getting there. I don't know how old you are but if you don't know, let me tell you, if we want something bad enough it will come to us. Hence the old phrase "be carefull what you wish for, you might get it."! I think it works that way because people feel good when they help someone else and just passing info on is an easy way to help.

Let others sence where you would like to go in life and some will likely help you get there!

(I hope this ain't a "pollyanna" type post but some young folks on the board might not be aware that it is true. It does actually work that way!)

Ray...........

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 03-26-2005).]
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                          X