No announcement yet.

Wiring receptacle box in garage

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wiring receptacle box in garage

    I'm in the process of adding a 230V receptacle in my garage. I'm lucky enough to have a dryer outlet on the other side of the garage wall, so all I have to do is remove a small section of drywall on the garage side, run some electrical wire and a box and then button it all back up. I'm putting in an L14-30 receptacle, and it is EXTREMELY cramped to work with a single gang outlet box and I really don't feel comfortable cramming the wires in really tight when screwing the outlet in. Initially, I thought I would just add a single gang box extension, but then realized I'm limited to 3.5" depth (standard 2 x 4's), so I figured it would be fairly straightforward to instead put in a 2 gang box. The following picture shows what I'm talking about:

    Now my problem is that I can't use the cover plate shown in the picture because it won't cover the surrounding drywall. I need that some cover plate sized for a two gang box. The only problem is, I can't find one -- ANYWHERE. I've looked at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Mcmaster and Grainger with no luck. I'd really like to avoid using the cover cover shown in this next picture as it wouldn't hide the drywall cutout:

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.


  • #2
    I suggest you don't overload that 30A circuit (It's 30A, right?). I would run a new circuit 50A circuit for that 230V receptacle in your garage.



    • #3

      Yes it is a 30 amp circuit. This is kind of funny -- I have a gas dryer, so it just uses 115V to spin the drum; it doesn't use the 230V, so you could basically consider it a dedicated outlet that I'm doing here for all practical purposes. Point well noted however -- I hadn't thought about that too much until now.



      • #4

        They make a "bigger" box to do what you want. Perhaps you could go to an electrical contractor in your area and they can sell you what you need. Other sources are the Elecrical Supply Warehouses, but most of them are wholesale only....however, try them anyway - you might get lucky!


        [This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 03-22-2005).]


        • #5

          Just a thought...

          You might know that the drier outlet can't be used then...but if you ever sell your house, they wont. Nothing worse than walking into a job that has been cobbled together.

          If you dont want to run a new wire from the panel, remove the drier receptacle.



          • #6
            Why not cut out a dry-wall section between studs and patch in a new piece. Since your box already has stud flanges, you need access to nail/screw it to a stud anyway. Stop by any new construction job and ask for a piece of scrap. I've seen them throw out 1/2 sheets!

            OR... Make your own cover plate.

            120v dryer on a 230v line???? What up with that?


            • #7
              A real easy suggestion.

              Go to your local lumberyard, tell them what you are doing...get a small broken piece of drywall and patch it in. Drywall work is easy, you just have white boogars for a couple days!



              • #8
                Chad, make the supply safe, open the main s/w and remove the cb or fuse that supplies the p/p. Remove the p/p and drill through the stud then locate the new receptacle on the far side of the stud or to the next one. Run a new supply of sufficient capacity to this new point. Tidier in the long run IMO.

                Electricity, the invisible killer.

                cheers, Ken

                I have remembered that the U.S.A is the litigeous nation so: ignore my suggestion .

                [This message has been edited by speedy (edited 03-22-2005).]


                • #9

                  CCWKen Wrote: "120v dryer on a 230v line???? What up with that? "

                  The dryer runs on natural gas. It uses an ignitor briefly to get the gas ignited, which does the heating. Then, all it needs to do is use enough electricity to spin the drum, which is accomplished on 120v circuit. I presume the 230V line was originally put there in case you wanted to run an electric dryer.

                  Jacob wrote: "You might know that the drier outlet can't be used then...but if you ever sell your house, they wont. Nothing worse than walking into a job that has been cobbled together.

                  If you dont want to run a new wire from the panel, remove the drier receptacle."

                  I'm not going to be living here for more than 2-3 years (hopefully), so I'd rather not run a new wire from the panel (it's located outside, not in the garage). It's a good point about future owners of this place. I'm thinking I may leave the dryer outlet intact, but remove the 230V outlet in the garage when I move and put a cover plate over it. Besides, those L14-30 receptacles ain't cheap -- I'm taking it with me!!


                  I must really not be with it, but what is p/p? (power panel is the best I could come up with :-)

                  For anyone who is wondering, I plan on using this outlet to power my phase converter (which still needs some 3-phase brothers and sisters by the way) and to run my Lincoln SP-175 plus welder. I'm hoping a 9 x 42 BP will find it's way into this shop in the time frame I'm living here, but I'm not holding out too much hope for it, with our first baby on the way.


                  • #10
                    Hi Chad. p/p = power point. We use 240v 1ph ( neutral, phase, earth ) for domestic down this way.
                    I'm not an electricians bum ( that's ar*e to you )but....
                    If you are planning on any sort of larger load why not run a cable that will carry a decent load and use a seperate board. Just some holes in the top plate and nogs and some cable run.....and an affordable electrician.....and a permit??
                    You can still remove them when you move or call it capital improvement.

                    I have a Lincoln SP 175 also, a good mig!!

                    cheers, Ken

                    [This message has been edited by speedy (edited 03-23-2005).]


                    • #11
                      Make one, it's only sheet metal.
                      Or, If you can find a stock cover plate that will hide the hole but has the wrong center cut out, modify the center hole to fit the outlet.
                      Location: North Central Texas


                      • #12
                        Gosh! do we all speak the same language. I open this thread thinking it was about a dustbin.


                        • #13
                          Just had a thought in english dustbin equals trash can!


                          • #14
                            Well, if trash can, then I certainly must be able to.



                            • #15
                              there is a cover that should work. called a two gang stainless steel dryer cover, made by Pass Semour i believe. we use it on all dryer plugs in two gang plastic boxes. should be close to the same size box.