What do you wear in the shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you wear in the shop?

I have a terrible habit of wiping my hands off on my jeans. I also tend to pick up all kinds of crud, oil and grease on my clothes.

My wife just bought me an apron. Its an outdoor grilling kind but it will work fine.

It just started me thinking about what you guys wear? Overalls? Aprons? Same ole ratty sweatshirt and jeans?

I wear a plain woodwork type apron with the pocket on the front,It gets quite filthy.
    Only problem I've found is the pocket collects chips and if you aren't careful you can put it on back to front(senior moment) and transfer the muck on to your clothes.
    Since the last wash I've taken to wearing mine back to front so the pocket's on the inside.

Allan

Comment

I was wondering about the pockets snaging on the handles could get interesting

Matt in AK
      Matt in AK

Comment

I'm usually STARK RAVING NAKED

------------------
        Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
        Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Steel toed engineer boots, Levi's, short sleeved work shirt. Shop rag in back pocket is for wiping hands on. If you're getting dirty you're working too hard. I worked with a guy who got too close to a spinning shaft on a lathe, he got his nice little apron ripped off of his body. Got pretty beat up too, lucky not to be killed. Aprons are for BBQing.
          Smitty.... Ride Hard, Die Fast

Comment

Well, unlike Evan and Hoffman I wear clothes. Usually a uniform of blue pants and white shirt. Sometimes jeans too. If I'm about to do a messy job, I throw on a set of cover-alls. I also carry a rag in the back pocket.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bikenut:
              I worked with a guy who got too close to a spinning shaft on a lathe, he got his nice little apron ripped off of his body. </font>
              Maybe I'll stop running my lathe naked. I'd hate to get my nice little... ripped off my body...

------------------
              Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
              Techno-Anarchist

Comment

If you wear aprins use a rubber band in between the string and wear you tie it to the aprin. that way the rubber band will break instead of pulling you into the machine!

Comment

well,leths see, I wear pink ruffel shirt, matching leopard print bra and panties, unless I have my pantiehose on,but I dont wear those around hot chips though and short shorts, and come-fu**-me heels.

Comment

Most days I'm in bib overalls with a short sleeve shirt. I've grown tired of the restriction of jeans and a belt. On cold days I will wear coveralls. Always steel toed boots.
                    lg
                    no neat sig line

[This message has been edited by larry_g (edited 03-13-2005).]

Comment

old jeans and old t-shirts. i like the rag in the back pocket idea as i'm always looking for a place to wipe my hands.

i do have a question. sometimes if i'm working on something that is really oily and making fine chips, the chips stick to my hands and i have to be careful wiping the oil off or i end up getting steel splinters. is there a trick to avoid this? it doesn't happen very often, but when it does, you know it.

andy b.
                      The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Jeans and a T-shirt - or a sweat shirt that will let me pull the sleeves up above the elbows.

Yeah, I tend to wipe my hands on the jeans. Tried having a rag, paper towels, such on and so forth, but almost thirty years of this stuff - well - habits.

I have three pairs of jeans I wear in the shop, the rest are not to be worn in the shop.

CCBW, MAH

Comment

HAW HAW HAW..

I found out why aprons tie in the back. But I ain't tellin. I modified my apron to tie on the front. Wrong thing to do ... Well okay.. The 4" grinder got it and nearly undressed me.

David

Comment

i wear a blue cotton barbers jacket.not as restrictive as overalls,but keeps at least my top half clean,and an old pair of pants so i can wipe my hands without feeling guilty .

------------------
                            Hans
                            Hans

Comment

Carhartt bibs covered by a leather apron. After going through two commercial aprons that "weren't right", I bought a large piece of leather from a saddlemaker and took it to the local shoe repair shop. He measured me like he was going to tailor a custom suit. Done in two days. Total damage was $20 for leather + $15 for cutting, sewing straps & buckle (in back).
                              Barry Milton

Comment

Working...
                              X