Lumens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumens

Does anyone know the differance from Lumens Candlepower Foot Candles and MCD s. I am trying to figure out how to accurately figure out which flashlight is better brighter than its competetors. Quite confusing for me at least. Thanx

I have a hand book of reference tables that has some lumens formulas in it. No lighting engineer. I do not know exactly what you are looking for, how many of this = that, or this in comparison to that. I do not know what an "MCD" is either, except for the "golden arches".
    Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

1 foot candle = 10.76391 meter-candles

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Take the flashlights and shine them into your eye, the one that blinds you the best is the one to buy. Smitty
        Smitty.... Ride Hard, Die Fast

Comment

Smitty...

Is that what they call a "blind comparison"?
          \"But the Junkyard IS my storage area, Honey!\"

Comment

Try searchin on the interney "Lumans to Candles", etc. There are plenty of those conversion engines available.

Marv

Comment

madman,

what you ask cannot be done. on several of the message boards and newsgroups i've been on over the years this topic comes up quite frequently. the last million-reply thread on it was on the rec.guns newsgroup when guys were trying to decide which tactical flashlight to purchase.

the problem is that a candlepower is a unit of measurement describing the light output from a point source based on an archaic standard of "one candle power". a lumen is the measurement of a light's intensity over a given area. a flashlight of 1000 candlepower will have a different lumen value depending upon how far away from the light source the measurement is taken. think of it this way, if you are 1" from a light, it is very bright, if you are 10' from it, the light cast on to a surface (the lumen value) is much less, but the candlepower of the source has not changed.

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

According to my "Pocket Reference":

To convert from candle power to lumens you multiply by 12.566

I know this is what we use at work when we calibrate light meters.

Hal C. , www.tempyramid.com
                No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Comment

Hey Smitty Ill just take youre advice but Ill shine the light in someone elses eyes. II ll probably use one of the kids.

Comment

here is the free conversion program that I use http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X