Monorail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monorail!

Think you're "cool" because you actually built a scale steam powered locomotive that you're grandkids can tool around on in the back yard? That's sooo 19th Century! You need to get with the times like this guy did and build yourself a monorail! http://monorails.org/tMspages/NMT01.html

Now if he had a Mag-Lev that would be totally 21st Century. Mono-Rails are so Disney
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

too bad,i've got vertigo!

------------------
      Hans
      Hans

Comment

The CBS Sunday Morning show did a snippet on this guy a few months ago. It's a pretty crude setup. The travel seems very jerky with not very much power.

Mike P
        Mike P
        1919 13" South Bend Lathe
        1942 Bridgeport M-head Mill

Comment

You know, I get along with my wife about as good as any guy gets along with his wife. But I'd have to say, we'll all be ducking from flying pigs months before my wife would let me develop a project like that on this homestead!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spin Doctor:
            Now if he had a Mag-Lev that would be totally 21st Century. Mono-Rails are so Disney</font>
            Well, here's a site that sells plans for a model maglev. http://www.futurehorizons.net/grava.htm Wonder how hard it would be to scale it up to haul a human around the yard?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike P:
              The travel seems very jerky with not very much power.

Mike P
              </font>
              Yep,just like the real ones

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Hmm - perhaps a bit more affordable: how about an air-pressure-levetation system? Kind of like the air puck shuttles used to move machinery, but with a train attached, instead of a VMC?

Comment

I prefer 2 rails.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 03-31-2005).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hammerhead74000:
                    Hmm - perhaps a bit more affordable: how about an air-pressure-levetation system? Kind of like the air puck shuttles used to move machinery, but with a train attached, instead of a VMC?</font>
                    Overgrown bank teller vaccum tube? Just think,a loud Thummmp! And your there!

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Wasn't there some train tunnel somewhere where they did something like that - had some big fans, and blew air in behind the train? Or was I imagining things again?

Comment

During the second world war I was a GI stationed in Wupertal, Germany. They had a train hung from an overhead rail. It was not running in 1945, but I expect it is today. Everything was was blown all to hell in 1945, but when I was in Germany in 1970 everything was rebuilt and you would never know there was a war. Google probably has details of it.
                        Walt
                        toolman

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BillH:
                          I prefer 2 rails.

[This message has been edited by BillH (edited 03-31-2005).]
                          </font>

And coal smoke....I was born in the wrong century...

Andy Pullen
                          Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">During the second world war I was a GI stationed in Wupertal, Germany. They had a train hung from an overhead rail. It was not running in 1945, but I expect it is today. Everything was was blown all to hell in 1945, but when I was in Germany in 1970 everything was rebuilt and you would never know there was a war. </font>
                            http://monorails.org/tMspages/switch.html
                            John

Comment

Working...
                            X