82 deg countersink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 deg countersink

Does anyone know of plans/drawings for a carbide insert 82 deg. countersink?

Nope, but I once made a carbide insert dovetail cutter, using a triangular insert with a hole in it. By using the triangular insert, I could get the 60 degree angle with accuracy, and the hole in the middle made it easy to attach. I had a shoulder on the body of the cutter that the insert registered against, so it didn't depend only on the screw to hold it in place.

I had only a single insert, which resulted in a whacka-whacka cut; if I were doing it again, I'd take the trouble to do at least two inserts, I think. It did work though.

For an 82 degree countersink, I'd look around for inserts with an 82 degree angle (if there are any) and a hole, to base everything on. If there aren't any to be had, I'd probably use a rectangular insert with a hole.

Make it up as you go along!
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Thanks, for your reply. I went ahead and made the cutter body to use a single HSS cutter. So far it has worked very well but now I think I'll make another for two carbide inserts.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SGW:
      Nope, but I once made a carbide insert dovetail cutter, using a triangular insert with a hole in it. By using the triangular insert, I could get the 60 degree angle with accuracy, and the hole in the middle made it easy to attach. I had a shoulder on the body of the cutter that the insert registered against, so it didn't depend only on the screw to hold it in place.

I had only a single insert, which resulted in a whacka-whacka cut; if I were doing it again, I'd take the trouble to do at least two inserts, I think. It did work though.

For an 82 degree countersink, I'd look around for inserts with an 82 degree angle (if there are any) and a hole, to base everything on. If there aren't any to be had, I'd probably use a rectangular insert with a hole.

Make it up as you go along!
      </font>

Comment

Working...
      X