Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grievous accident today

Hello friends,
    Today I lost my son of 24 years. His name was Travis, and his first baby was born last month which he named after me.
    He was crushed to death under a stack of granite tables that were stacked vertically on their edges. These must be about 300lbs each. He was sent to get one all by himself and the stack fell like dominoes on him. He wasn't found for 3 hours even though his forklift was there with its lights going and hundreds of people working there. I wasn't allowed in at first, but later a security guard let me inspect the spot where my son died. I'm just starting to understand what happened, but I know that it didn't have to happen. I was shocked by the standard practices in this colosal furniture and appliance warehouse. I'm still in shock. I wish I had visited his place of work before now. I would have pointed out a few things to him that just wasn't proper warehouse practice in any warehouse that I have ever seen. And this in a warehouse 100' high and a mile and a half long.

[This message has been edited by SJorgensen (edited 03-24-2005).]

Im so terribly sorry to hear about this grievious loss. My sincerest condolances, I lost two family members many years ago and the memory still burns like fire in my heart. I can never forget them.

Comment

I am in shock! I don't know what to say. I have a daughter that is 24 and she has a daughter that just turned 1 year old. I think my life would be over if something were to happen to her. Your sense of loss must be impossible to convey. You and your family will be in my prayers and may God give you strength and comfort in this dark hour. I hope that being able to come to this forum and share your tragic loss, you will gain some comfort knowing that we, whom you have never met, will be touched and ache at your loss. This sort of tragedy helps to sharpen the focus on what is truly important and what are just "things". I'm fairly sure there is an OSHA violation here, I would have thought that the tables would have been required to be in some sort of "racks" to preclude the domino effect.

Comment

That is painful to hear. I'm terribly sorry about your loss. I can say nothing to make it any easier, but will keep you and your son in my thoughts and prayers.

Chad

Comment

You have my deepest sympathy. I unfortunately know what you are going though, having lost my eldest daughter in a car accident coming on 8 years in May. It will always hurt though it gets somewhat easier with time. He will always be with you and you will see him every time you look at your grandson. I will ad your family t oour prayer list.

Comment

Words just don't work at a time like this. I'm stunned. My deepest condolences to you and yours.

Last year, a colleague at work lost a daughter in a car accident. We often talked about our daughters; same age, same sports; similar kind of daughter-dad relationship. I didn't know what to say to him at the time either. We just stood there looking at each other with tears streaming down our faces.

Know that many of us here offer our condolences and will think of you in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless.

Comment

I thank your kind thoughts. I've not been able to sleep. I can only think of my son's baby. I have no choice but to look into the company's practices. What I saw there disturbed me. Imagine a colosal warehouse run by cheap workers in their teens and early twenties without any proper supervision or safety standards. I didn't see any signs of safety programs or management. What I saw was stacks of material in crushed boxes and unsecured refrigerators tipping off of shelves 60' up. Shouldn't tall items on a shelf 60' up have a chain around or in front of it? If we have to chain our welding tanks to the wall, doesn't it make sense that large granite slabs be restrained so that they can't dominoe over? Can top-heavy tall items be put on shelves 60' up without a chain holding them in? We live in an earthquake zone, known as the Wasatch fault zone. Is there no provision for this? Is it ok to have one person load this 300 to 500lb verticle slab alone?, where he has to slide his verticle slab of stone onto a platform without any mechanical provision for holding a narrow verticle crate like that? And with no provision to hold the other crates verticle? My son is dead, but I owe it to my grandson and I owe it to those other workers to find some answers.
              This place is a colosal mess.

I've got to look into this much closer.

Comment

That is absolutely tragic.Deepest thoughts and prayers from all the boys here.Wishing you the very best,BW

Comment

My heart goes out to you and yours. I understand your loss and the pain your going through all to well. May your God give you strength you need to see you through.

Tim
                  Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Your loss stings all of us with sons and daughters, it is a phone call that we all dread and know could come at any time. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
                    My son (21 years old) wrecked his motorcycle last weekend on a trip just to the corner store to get gas for it, when the call came that it had happened my heart jumped into my throat in the time it took for his mother to say he wasn't hurt. For a few seconds I saw the panic you are now facing.

On the other note about what safety issues could affect a settlement that would help to raise his son, you might wish to check into the investigation and weather the place he worked in is trying to clean up the place prior to OSHA and the investigation getting started. It won't bring back your son and nothing will replace him, but the wellfare of the new born grandson might be a good place to train your focus. Sometimes it helps if a person has a distraction to focus on in such a time of sorrow.

Comment

That is absolutly terrible Spence,my family and I will keep you in our prayers.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

There are no words which suffice. In 2003 my oldest daughter and her boyfriend/fiance were returning from college. The young man died of a brain clot at the wheel and my 22 year-old daughter was brought out of the wreck with a broken neck and a prognosis of being a quadriplegic for life. It takes several days/weeks for the full impact to sink in and it takes months and years for the pain to subside. Were it not for my faith in God and my trust in Christ I would not have been able to go on. I can understand your pain in losing Travis and will pray for you and your family. My daughter is walking today, with the use of a cane. She has not regained the use of her left arm and hand and her left leg and foot are at about 50 percent functionality. She still misses her fiance; fortunately she is strong in the Lord and this has enabled her to go on. She knows she will be fully restored in eternity and what has occurred here on earth will be only a dim memory.
                        Ben

Comment

I can only imagine the anguish of losing a son or daughter.My heart goes out to you and yours in this time of sorrow and grief.

Ken
                          Ken.

Comment

What a shock! I am deeply sorry for your loss. And, for your daughter in law and grandson. I'll add you and them to my prayers.

That workplace sounds like a candidate for a major OSHA inspection. I would look into having the Department of Labor in your state investigate them, too. Maybe even the AG's office.

Good luck,

Andy Pullen
                            Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

Spence, that just makes me sick. I feel so bad for you and your family. My son has been in three very bad accidents and is now a shell of what he used to be. But we are lucky to still have him. I know there is nothing I can say to really help but I am thinking about you and your loss. May God be with you all.
                              Russ
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X