Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone stock a 14mm x 1.5 thread forming tap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone stock a 14mm x 1.5 thread forming tap?

The largest thread forming tap I find stocked locally is a 12mm...I'd prefer to form rather than cut if possible. The work is 7075 T651...I tried Balax they say 3 week delivery and 3 piece minimum at $102 each.

I'm open to any solutions, I don't know the geometry of a thread forming tap but if I can't get one from stock, I guess I'll look into making one...or give up and just cut the threads.

Have you tried these sources:

http://www.emuge.com/taps/cold.html

http://www.netap.com/default.htm

------------------
    Barry Milton
    Barry Milton

Comment

If you're talking about HSS hand taps,they are listed at a local(nz) supplier,Trade Tools, as around $40nz each.That's about $30 US.$102US seems a bit steep.

------------------
      Hans
      Hans

Comment

Cold forming threads is not as easy as you think,it takes a lot of power. I would try this first with any availably cold forming tap before you invest $.

Comment

I have a new M28x1.5 I would part with, but I guess that will not hepl you.

Gary P. Hansen
          In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Thread forming taps....we've used them for years. My local dealer reps Balax so that's the brand we've used for the majority of our threading.

Just recently I made an auction purchase that included some OSG forming taps.

The OSG have a unique square-ish cross section that twists in a helix up the tap. I've found these to perform better than the Balax style. A problem with the Balax was the pressure relief groove, sometimes this will get plugged with flakes of material especially when used in soft materials.

14m x 1.5 seems to be a standard metric size. I can't imagine some of the larger tooling houses don't have them.

Regarding the 7075T6, I've done a fair amount of thread forming in it. It's a tough material and needs good lubrication to form threads.

Comment

Working...
            X