Dont know if this is all that clever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont know if this is all that clever

Just went to have a look at the auction site. Saw this, it had a "have to have now" price ,so Im the new owner. Anyone know much about them?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/a...sp?id=24968704

Only 1 small problem ,its at the other end of the country so I wont see it for a week or two.

mike

So, there are some good things that come out of Auckland after all?
    Good on you, Mike! and the price wasn't too bad either. Has the Stanko broken down??

cheers, Ken
    Ken.

Comment

Mike.

You will never get past the grid lock in Auckland.

Picture was a bit blurry. Looks a tidy old machine.

Must have plenty of space in that new shop?

Good luck.

John.

Comment

The shed will be big, they start building it in about a month. I will have to stop getting big stuff like this, or Ill be tripping over junk everywhere. The Stanko is not broken. I just liked it and didnt want anyone else to get it. I think it will clean up quite nice. When I get old I want to have my shop ready to go , not be starting looking for machines. I havnt told my wife about this machine, I think Ill just say "oh that old thing, had it for ages" actually she is pretty kind about the stuff I like, so long as she dosent have to touch it ! Ive got a chinese lathe mill to get rid of so that should even up the scales.
        mike

Comment

It's amazing to be able to talk with fellow hobbyist around the world!. This looks to be a fine, little machine!. Congatulations!!. It does state "buyer pickup only", how are you getting it home if it's on the "other side".

Comment

Send a truck round, this works for me because a friend ships 200 tonne a month and gets pretty good rates. Otherwise it would be bad !

Comment

Used to have one at a firm I worked at.
              Hardly got used as we had newer equipment.
              It's old, guessing around the 1920's and I'm sure they have a morse taer in the spindle nose and not the larger milling tapers.
              Heavy and slow but dependable.

Tony at the UK lathes site has some info
              http://www.lathes.co.uk/catalogues/
              But not cheap if you don't know what you have as regards model.

Another one sold here recently but it's not a good picture.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7503673877

John s.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I retired a Ford Smith miller made in Canada, looks exactly like yours. The reason I retired her was,
                1st no Ebay back then
                2nd had Brown & Sharp taper in spindle (hard to come by tooling pre internet.
                3rd was going to make new spindle with 40NMTB taper as well as change bronze bushings to Timken taper roller bearings.
                4th A school auction came up, I went to see, there was a dividing head that I bid on and won.

I thought I just got the dividing head and about 300 cutters, the auction people said "Oh no", you also got that machine in the corner there too, the one covered in black cutting oil.
                After two weeks of degreasing, what I had was a 1964 PU2 Pedersen Universal Milling machine with a complete Universal dividing head attachment,5 horizontal arbors. It has the 40 NMTB spindle, and the Timken bearings, 3 axis power feed.

------------------
                Doug
                Doug

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vmil3:
                  I thought I just got the dividing head and about 300 cutters, the auction people said "Oh no", you also got that machine in the corner there too

</font>
                  Don't you hate when that happens?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vmil3:
                    "Oh no", you also got that machine in the corner there too, the one covered in black cutting oil.
                    After two weeks of degreasing, what I had was a 1964 PU2 Pedersen Universal Milling machine with a complete Universal dividing head attachment,5 horizontal arbors. It has the 40 NMTB spindle, and the Timken bearings, 3 axis power feed.
                    </font>
                    -------
                    Of all the rotten luck, lumbered with more excess machinery!! What to do??

cheers, Ken

Ken.

Comment

Nice buy,Mike.And cheap.I think that was very clever!

------------------
                      Hans
                      Hans

Comment

Stanko:
                        Nothing wrong with horizontals, with an angle plate you can do just about anything. The outboard bracing make them very sturdy, good for slab milling with helical cutters. I have a ~1905 Garvin horizontal that works just fine , power feed and all.Fun to play with,slow, but still can put out half decent work...Amazing for 100 years old.
                        good luck with yours,LK

Comment

In my first post about it not being clever, wasnt refering to the machine just whether or not I needed it and how hard it would be to transport here. Fortunatly we dont have this "Rigger" term in the vocabulary. You send a truck round and a neighbour might have a forklift and it all proceeds with no problems. Im quite looking forward to it arriving so I can return it to a good looking but not hardworking machine. I have a horozontal milling gizmo on my vertical mill but no end support or any arbours, so this is a bit of a long way round
                          Mike

Comment

All over the World?

You mean you guys don't live in Texas? Dang!

Comment

Stanko,
                              By coincidence, I just sold my old Denbigh about 1 month ago. (I am in Auckland, it has gone just north of Auckland). As far as I can tell, identical to your machine, except grey paint. Power feed to X axis, coolant pump. I was told it was 1940's when I bought it back around 1985, ex government.
                              A basic mill.
                              The Denbigh's new owner builds marine steam engines commercially, at present building a large engine (eg 7ft long cast crankshaft), going into a new boat in Australia.

I have seen a few Denbigh drill presses and milling machines over the years, must have been a popular make.

The 'later' mills as seen on Tony's site make me smile - all enclosed, but lift the cover and it is the same old flat belt system inside!

One possibility with a horizontal in good order would be to fit a modern mill/drill head and turn it into a turret mill. Another possibility is to fit a lathe chuck to the spindle, a tool to the table and use it for turning/facing large diameter jobs that won't fit your lathe.

[This message has been edited by Peter S (edited 04-03-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                              X