o/t need a book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• o/t need a book

Someone please recommend a book to read.
    Something with a little machining, a little bit of math, a little bit of physics.
    Reading "The Da Vinci Code" right now, but I need something more...
    e
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

You have time to read????

------------------
    Hans
    Hans

Comment

Sorry,wrong button.The only book I know that has anything about machining is "Trustee from the toolroom",by Nevil Shute.In fact,more model engineering than machining.

------------------
      Hans
      Hans

Comment

CNC primer and formulae on mass rotation by Albert Einstein.

That should cover all three

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Dear Motorworks,

I enjoyed reading The Amateur's Lathe by L.H. Sparey. It is informative and well-written; however, it is a but light on math and physics. Even if you are an experienced machinist, you'll enjoy reading his work. It is not a dry as most of the machinery textbooks out there.

Sincerely,

Damphmann

Comment

Have you tried "Properties of Engineering Materials" By R.A.Higgins, ISBN 0 340 179082, published by Hodder and Stoughton?

A fantastic bedside read, I have all the saucy pages 'dog eared' for further reference

cheers, Ken
            Ken.

Comment

I liked these books by Richard Rhodes. Dark Sun and The Making of the Atomic Bomb. History and science.

Amazon has a deal on both.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...043937-5004142

James

Comment

Guy Lautards "Machinists bedside readers" might fit that discription.

http://lautard.com/books-ge.htm

Bruce

Comment

"Trustee From the Toolroom" is well worth the read.

Comment

The Bedside Readers are pretty good. And Richard Rhodes' stuff is really good.

I have a book on my shelf in the basement by an anthropologist about the history of metalworking going all the way back. I bought it from Lindsay Publications...The title escapes me at the moment and it's not on the website. www.lindsaybks.com is the website. Lots of good stuff there.

Andy Pullen
                    Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

"Engineering to Win" is a book I recently finished. It has all three elements, and is an entertaining read. Race car builder/designer , brain fade on the author, sorry.

rollin'

Comment

The Amatuers Workshop by Ian Bradley is a very good read for a workshop primer.
                        Neville Shute's Trusty from the Tool Room is a thriller. A good yarn.
                        Amazon has lots of stuff,some of it second hand;that might give you what you want.
                        Regards,
                        bobby.
                        boef

Comment

Brain fading on Carrol Smith's "Engineer to Win"??? Got to get the whole set, he passed in May '04 IIRC, there goes my chances of meeting him. Very fun reading...

I want to get the the Smokey Yunick biography, but I'm ashamed to say I don't have the cash for the hardcover right now and buying the discount softcover makes me squirm a little.

Filet minon taste on a hot dog budget! And to make matters worse, the hot dogs I like are usually about double per pound or the same as whatever steak they have on sale. Never thought I'd see the day when sirloin is $1.99/lb and hot dogs are $3.99/lb...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollin45:
                          "Engineering to Win" is a book I recently finished. It has all three elements, and is an entertaining read. Race car builder/designer , brain fade on the author, sorry.

rollin'
                          </font>

Comment

Another enthusiastic vote for Carroll Smith's "Engineer to Win". ISBN # 0-87938-186-8

Comment

One of my all-time favorite books is "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea" by Gary Kinder, ISBN 0-87113-464-0.

It is a true story of deep sea treasure discovery and recovery. The hero of the book, Tommy Thompson, showed incredible ingenuity in building the search and recovery equipment.

If one can comprehend the enormous pressure exerted by sea water at mile-deep depths, they'll have tremendous respect for what Thompson accomplished.

This one's a real page-turner, but it never caught on with the general public. I suspect it's because they have no understanding nor appreciation of the challenges of operating electrical and electronic equipment in such an environment.

Orrin
                              So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Working...
                              X