Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoffman
    replied
    The chinese should make something like that instead of the mill/drill...
    Guys would be clambering for it...

------------------
    Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    I didn't want them OR the mill.

I was wondering why anyone wanted to do that....

I have found that MT tooling stays in very tight when you want it OUT.
    But, it falls out readily when you want it to stay IN.......so that idea of tooling seemed a poor one.

Was it so that the tool could be readily swapped?

Otherwise there seems really zero reason not to arrange it so one could use a drawbar.

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    The mill is a Benchmaster, which is a very nice little bench mill. It uses MT#2 collets and has a draw bar for retention.

It looks as though they have been using MT#2 end mills and drill sleeves to hold tooling. Buy the mill and throw the tooling away. Collets are available from several sources now that some mini mills use them.

The screw for the knee extends below the bench top, keep that in mind when considering a location.

Leave a comment:

• lklb
    replied
    I got a tray of 100 very small B+S taper end mills (mostly dovetail + angle cutters)from a retired machinist. Built an adapter for a M-head (MT2)and it works,but I don't have a lot of confidence in them ,especially at the speeds very small mills should turn.Kind of scary and I don't use them much. Mr.Addy's right,You don't want them.

Leave a comment:

• Forrest Addy
    replied
    Nope, you don't want 'em. They're Brown and Sharpe taper 1/2" per ft. They work great in spindle tooling where the tapers are in good shape but when the adaptor gets a little bell mouth you have to seat them with a lead hammer and even then they pull out on heavy cuts.

I had to deal with B&S tapers for my first six years in the trade before the place where I worked finally shifted over to the Weldon shank. What a HUGE PITA B&S shanks are when all the adaptors are shot. B&S cutter changes took several minutes Vs 20 seconds for a straight shank cutter.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 04-03-2005).]

Leave a comment:

• matador
    replied
    I'm guessing they're morse taper,like morse taper drills,they rely purely on the taper to hold them.I don't think I like that idea very much.

------------------
    Hans

Leave a comment:

• jimfun
    replied
    Don't know what the designation of the taper is but it was a standard quill taper. The taper is so shallow that with a little pressure the tool holds in the quill. Most all radial drills and tail stocks use the same taper even new machines come this way. I think the tools in that picture are spiral reamers though. Thats why theres a slot in the quill so you can insert your drift and knock out the tool. I used to insert a tool in to the quill and give it a light press on a brass block to set the tool in the quill and I never had a tool come loose.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    started a topic tanged tapered end mills.....what for?

tanged tapered end mills.....what for?

The aution for this mill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...505338591&rd=1

shows in the tooling pic a bunch of end mills with tanged tapers and no provision for a drawbar. I have seen these in machining textbooks also.

What keeps them in place?
Working...
X