• Show
Clear All

• Another beauty...

Fixer upper
    Techno-Anarchist

Are you a deep sea diver?

Comment

Hoff,

Big Problem -- the dial is shiny............................

Obvious that someone has cleaned this in preparation for eBay pictures & sale..............................

Proceed with caution!

------------------
      Barry Milton
      Barry Milton

Comment

Another beauty ?

No it's not it's pig ugly.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Here it is sort of cleaned up:

This is the dial I re-graduated and an old handle I fit:

I still need to make a little knurled knob to take it out of gear. That's the little threaded shaft to the right of the dial.

I know a few guys frown on my rusty junk but I'm poor and like to save salvagable stuff from the scrap man... I'm tickled pink to have a 12" American rotary table!

The innards were in great shape and it's built like a friggin' tank. Turns like silk...

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 04-05-2005).]
          Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Looks like a Gorton.

Many of the older tools were made of cast iron and quality steel and clean up nicely with a little work. Don't be put off by the appearance, it may be a diamond in the rough.

Congratulations on your ambition and success in bringing these things back to a useful condition.
            Jim H.

Comment

The question that begs asking; how did you get it cleaned up? Bead blast?

Comment

Good on you Hoffman.

It cleaned up quite well didn't it. A bit of green paint and it will look a million dollars.

I watched your other threads about the dial. You get a vision and go for it, great stuff.

Did you change the numbers? That will be confusing. I can see a few screw ups in the making with them running the wrong way.

John.

Comment

Wow JC you are good! It'll match my Gorton mill...

No bead blasting, just steel wool, kerosene and elbow grease. I still have some more scrubbing to do

I fixed the dial #'s so they go the right direction. Funny thing about the dial graduating, I thought "Man, I'd never pull that off and make it look right" but just went for it. Screwed up the #ing the first time but turned it down and did it again.

I'm not very clever or even that skilled but we never know what will work out until we try. Even the screw ups teach us something...
                  Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Yes Hoffman.

Often you learn more from your mistakes, especially when you have to fix them yourself.

I'm pleased you put it right, you can be proud.

John.

Comment

Nothing at all wrong with it,I have several "underwater salvage jobs" working around here.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I wish I could find stuff like that. I want a rotary table so bad, I can't stand it. I just can't justify the big bucks to get one right now. I dream about finding a good fixer upper like that. Almost every night!

------------------
                        That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
                        That\'s my story and I\'m sticking to it...

Comment

Nice work Hoffman, it is going to look great. Here was an old rusty German lathe that my friend brought back.
                          http://myweb.cableone.net/michaelaz/claudesbiglathe.jpg
                          Michael

Comment

This is what the rotary table is for:
                            http://motorhead.iwarp.com/mill/mill.html
                            The mill is coming along pretty good I just don't have any recent pics.
                            Your friends lathe is awesome Michael! I'm more into making stuff serviceable than restoration.

I won't scare you guys with pics of my South Bend
                            Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Working...
                            X