Milling adaptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling adaptor

I am a newbie and have a South Bend 10" lathe that I am trying to tool up. I need to do some light milling to make some tools. I am thinking of making a milling attachment that will fit on my quick change tool holder post. I can take a new boaring bar attachment holder and make a plate that goes into it. Or would I be better off making a custom solid attachment. Will this work? Or is the quick change tool post to flimsy?

Check out the Vintage Farm Plans is closing post. There is a link there that will get you to some plans to make lathe milling attachments.

Comment

This kit is available at http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/MLA-5.html

They have a number of other kits also.

------------------
      Barry Milton
      Barry Milton

Comment

Check out the Metal Lathe Accessories link given above. Those kits are really good: quality castings, good directions, plenty of machining allowance.

That being said, realize that any milling attachment for a lathe is for LIGHT milling only. The rigidity, even with a good attachment, just isn't there for heavy work.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

The MLA kit is as good as any. As SGW states, any milling attachment will lack in rigidity.

The most rigid will eliminate the compound and mount directly to the cross slide. Mounting to the QC toolpost or compound will add to the overhang and reduce rigidity.
          Jim H.

Comment

I made one using an inexpensive cast iron angle plate bolted to the cross-slide. I mounted the compound vertically to the angle plate and bolted a small screwless vice to the compound. It works pretty well as long as the gibs are kept snug and the cross-slide locked when possible.

It certainly beats having no mill at all!
            Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Newchips, you will be surprised just how much milling you can do with an angle plate mounted on the compound by having a hole bored in it where it will just slip over the tool post and be clamped to the compound by the toolholder. This will enable you to control the depth of cut with the compound feed screw more precisely than trying to do it by moving the entire carriage. The others are quite correct--it is for LIGHT milling only--don't push things or the lathe with tell you in a hurry that it is very unhappy.

Comment

A lathe milling attachment is a handy thing to have, even with a milling machine. I've got one I use about once a year (or did when I was getting in a decent amount of shop time, something that isn't happening at the moment) to do some little oddball machining job. The milling attachment has the advantage of being able to swivel and rotate in multiple directions, which can be very useful.
                ----------
                Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I do not recommend the Palmgren type in this pic....look at the difference between it and the one in the pic above...

It also of course WILL turn in various convenient ways for angles. The problem is that it may not stay there!. I finally pinned the 90 deg setting on mine. And now that I have a mill, I use it far less.

main difference is that Palmgren mounts on compound. The MLA part needs to mount after removing your compound and its base. That means you need a certain type of crosslide with a flat top. They sell the kit for that, and I think some S-B may have that standard. Logan do not.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 04-09-2005).]
                  CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I would go the cheap way out W/ angle plate . Save the money , from the fancy stuff, and get a milling machine.Then you can make a really good milling attachment , that you won't use . Wow, I like that!!

Comment

.........Don't know how your lathe is currently setup, or if you can find a dual toolpost cross slide for it? Luckily I was able to buy one on E-Bone very reasonably for my 11" Logan. I made T nuts, attached a piece if 1/2"x3" HRS across it and fastened with 7/16-20 flathead socket screws. The dovetail runs the full width of the cross slide.

It is still not real rigid, so you have to be patient with your cuts. I have no milling machine yet. I have still found it very usefull for light duty stuff.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Buckshot (edited 04-11-2005).]
                      Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

I'll bet dickeybird's milling attachment looks something like this:

This unit served me pretty well for a few years until I got a real milling machine. This is probably the first time I've set it up since! (18 years now.)

Comment

Yeah, I have a t-slot crosslide also, but not that type. It's from an 11" but fits the 10" OK. Has 2 sets of slots at right angles.

Trouble is, there isn't as much travel on teh vertical slide using it as with the regular setup. The vise tends to hit the ways or the saddle arms.

But the full-width dovetail is more solid.

Why did you put the extra plate on? Seems like in any case it comes down to the support width of the crosslide, whether against the plate or the attachment. (Mine has a wider support due to the multiple slots, so it's less of an issue)

The plate does give just a bit more height, though.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Yeah I like the S-4382 crosslide sold by Metal Lathe. I'd like to go with that on my 10" Logan but am a bit miffed as to how I'd have to modify it to mount the compound. The compound mount on the standard crosslide is a raised area milled for 2 T-bolts. It seems this could be improved upon for better rigidity.

Ken-

Comment

I decided to try milling on my lathe by slotting some angle iron. From this trial I found two problems with my idea of milling off the quick attach tool holder.

One is I need to make an r8 or 5c adaptor for my lathe. I could not keep the mill in the taper with the drill chuck and no way of putting in a draw bar. I have a 5c adaptor for my lathe but I think I will make an r8 so I can also use accessories besides the milling holder.

The other is as I fed the work across, it developed a leverage and turned the part and quick attachment in the compound rest. I am either going with the S-4382 cross slide which looks more solid or a milling attachment instead of the compound rest which looks like it might still turn when I work farther across.

Thanks to all for the info

Comment

Working...
                              X