Not quite so Norm.

------------------
    The tame Wolf !

Enough from you, the Meat Wolf!

You were kidding us- well, them!

N

Comment

Metal Spinning

I am thinking about acquiring a lathe for spinning metal.

I would recommend any advice you might have in what is available.

Thanks

TMT

Comment

From what I can gather most woodworking lathes with a little modification to the tool resst with pins built in should be fine enough perhaps get a book on it.Any metal spinning I have seen is done this way Alistair p.s have much fun
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

There was an article or series of articles in either HSM or MW a good while ago about metal spining,one article involved taking apart a 3 in1 lathe and making it into a metal spinning lathe.
          I know the magfazines are around here some where , but probably cant find them with out a seriuos search.

Comment

also an article in MEW from a while back,

Comment

I read somewhere it was hard on a lathes bearings as was knurling with the older style tooling. If that's so, you might want to buy a bigger lathe than planned?
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Y O Dog I don't see how it could be any harder than bowl turning on the bearings but perhaps I am wrong regards Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools:
                  I am thinking about acquiring a lathe for spinning metal.

I would APPRECIATE any advice you might have.

TMT
                  </font>
                  James P. Riser of Tucson http://www.jamesriser.com/CD_Preview/Intro.html has this web page devoted to his experience in spinning. I recently bought his CD-ROM, but I have not yet had time top view it in depth.

------------------
                  Allan
                  Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Nice metal spinning read..JRouche

http://prl.stanford.edu/documents/pdf/spinning.pdf
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Geez , just last night on "how its made" they had a spinning show.

------------------
                      The tame Wolf !

Comment

There are two metal spinning forums (fora) on Yahoo.

Metal spinning:
                        http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...?yguid=5735230

The Art of Metal Spinning:
                        http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...?yguid=5735230

Paul Wiley is the man behind "The Art..." forum. He is a professional spinner who has written a book on the topic.

The other forum has gone somewhat inactive because the leader currently doesn't have the time to participate. Still, the back messages are available and informative; and, the leader of the forum has produced a CD showing spinning techniques.

Regards,

Orrin
                        So many projects. So little time.

Comment

The "Art of Metal Spinning" and this board:
                          http://metalspinningworkshop.com/ (discussion board is on lower left) are the two main boards I know about. The Workshop board replaced the Yahoo board moderated by Tynan. Both Paul Wiley and Terry Tynan are professional metal spinners and know their stuff.
                          I also bought the Riser CD, and found later that many of his methods are not considered proper or, more importantly, safe in many cases. I have Wiley's book and Tynan's DVD and from studies of all three, I would conclude the opinions expressed online concerning the Riser CD are with-in reason, especially when techniques are compared one to one.
                          If you read through the forums, there is a good amount of discussion on converting wood lathes (cheaper) and metal lathes (more durable) to spinning. Also, there is guidance on how to make the spinning tools.
                          I picked up a little 12" spinning lathe locally, though I haven't had time to really try it out.

Hope this helps, Wes

Comment

"Spinning" is not that hard, but it is an operation and a technique that no one can put in writing. Start out with a small piece of aluminum and try it.Try to find an Artisan of Spinning in your area.

------------------
                            BFH

Comment

I can't believe you have been a member for 3 yrs. and still asking about metal spinning. Can you no longer read or search for a written answer? Sometimes you have to put forth a reasonable effort to research something; or are you asking questions just to keep a thread going???????????????

------------------
                              BFH

Comment

Working...
                              X