Making progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making progress...

I spent the day working on my gorton mill. It's under power and I got the table feed installed but I still need to fit a new handle on the side opposite the feed and make a gearbox or belt drive for the quill feed. I also have some DRO parts that I need to assemble into something that works. It's gonna be sportin' bridgeport dials/locks because they're so common and cheap.

It was nice having it it "alive" instead of just sitting there like a turd

One day when I get all this stuff working I may make something besides machine parts...

Just in case anyone is wondering. Here she is right after she was pulled from the deep:
    http://motorhead.iwarp.com/mill/mill.html

------------------
    Deep Sea Tool Salvage
    Techno-Anarchist

Love the signature.

Keep up the good work.

John.

Comment

Hey Hoffman. I thought now you know how, you would be making all your dials.

John.

Comment

No one will ever say Gorton & wimpy in the same sentence. Eager to see the "after" pics.

------------------
        Barry Milton
        Barry Milton

Comment

Unless it is a common collet chuck.Good luck finding collets.I have known guys to scrap them becouse there are none to be found,I think some styles were propriotory.

Comment

It's a B&S 9 spindle. I have a few B&S collets and a universal collet holder with a bunch of collets. Wells Index can grind a 9 spindle to an R8 for $200 so I was thinking about that but then I'd lose the use of the universal holder which I like pretty well.

The only problem with the universal is that it uses about 2" of daylight but it sure makes tool changes quick. I used them on Index mills and really liked them.
            Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Working...
            X