The Green Turd is in the shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Turd is in the shop!

After it quit pouring, the sun broke out and it turned out nice! Too nice, the help I was supposed to have to help unload the lathe all got mysteriously busy at the same time.
    So I had to do it myself. Have nothing to hook onto to pull it in with so I had to pull it off with two come alongs.

For those that thought I was joking about welding a ramp to the trailer....heh heh

This was the scary part (where I could have used some help)

It took forever...had the engine hoist hooked on one end, had the tie straps anchored to the trailer. Wiggle the lathe and hoist ahead an eighth of an inch at a time for about an inch... then go back and loosen the tie straps another inch or so and so on until it was nearly on the floor.
    Then I had to get the one end off the ramp...put a 1 1/4" rod through the base holes and jacked it up with two jacks...pull out the ramp and let er' down.
    Is this thing ever dirty!
    Not only did he spray oily crap all over it but he never cleaned off the original cosmoline/fishguts either.
    Was a good thing though. Went through that ugly rainstorm and soaked it. I have a lot of it apart and cleaned now and can only find a couple of rusty fingerprints on the three jaw.
    I've been checking it out some more. I think it may well be a kit. It isn"t made nearly as well as the busy bee machines i have> damn keyboard is stuck in lower case again
    russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Good job! Now post some pics that show the lathe better.

------------------
    Deep Sea Tool Salvage
    Techno-Anarchist

Comment

hoffman....you kill me!!! "Deep Sea Iool Salvage" Good one!
      I should have taken before and after pics!

Comment

That looks like the lathe that I have but mine is made in China. It was a kit, but once I went through it the lathe is now very good. One thing you should look at, On the head stock there is a note that says not to run the machine above 770 rpm in the "A" position. Believe it. You will strip a key in the headstock if you do. I went through the gearboxes, deburred everything and polished clearances on the moving parts and it now works like it should. Mine is a Grizzly, they don't sell it any more. If I can help you any let me know.

Joe

Comment

Torker, just remember when your "helpers" need a little job done on the lathe, I would be too busy!
          Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Az (edited 04-18-2005).]

Comment

Thanks WJ! I'm sure I'll be wondering about something. The only warning I've seen so far is not to run the face plate over 1255rpm. I'll keep looking.
            Michael. I hear you! These are the guys I do lots of free stuff for. You know the kind..."If you EVER need a hand, just call" I figured out what to call them all right!

Comment

Come on Russ, like Hoffman said, lets see some picture of the lathe!

Comment

Maybe some pics tomorrow! I'm still trying to clean the sucker and figure the wiring out....in my spare time! I had two extra jobs tonight plus the prop drive thing I'm still trying to get done.
                NOTE*NOTE*NOTE.....
                There is a lesson here that I learned while unloading this lathe. I should have had him load it with the headstock at the back. It would have been far easier to unload. As it was, I couldn't even get close to the balance point (near the chuck) with the arm of the lift!
                Russ

Comment

Geez Russ,wish I were closer,no really I do.The last one that size I moved,me and a bud stuck two 2x4" under the ways edge up and carried it wheelbarrow style.
                  Wasn't but 400lbs apiece Did I mention he is "healthy" like me?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Darin...LOL!!!!I'm not quite healthy enough to lift this. It weighs around 1375 pounds. The pedestals are all cast iron and the fish guts/poggy protection unit add a lot more The guy showed me all his bills for the thing and the shipping weight was 1535lbs gross with all the accessories and the crating etc.
                    Ha...I found another reason why the guy had such a time turning his pins. He had the toolbits mounted 1/4" below center.
                    When I first started to monkey with it, I was really piised at how rough everything felt. Then I noticed that nothing had ever been oiled. That's something I do like. It's got ball oilers for EVERYTHING. I think the idea is...you're actually supposed to shoot oil in them!
                    The only thing I don't like so far is the cross slide is really sticky and rough, even when soaked with oil and adjusted properley. It's been hand scraped but it looks like it was scraped by a badger diggin a gopher out of his hole!
                    Compare this too the silky smooth feel of my ol' SB and I see why you all like the old iron better. I'm sure this will get better after it's used a bit.
                    If it doesn't...it might make decent trading material

Comment

Dude... I admire your tenacity. Loaded & unloaded & put in place my lathe myself too. Weighs 1 1/2 - 2 tons. It is a LOT of work. A few inches at a time with come-alongs makes for a lot of up-down-back-forth-runnin'aroun'.

Congrats.

Comment

DR, Man I'm glad mine didn't weigh two tons! When I think of stuff that big, I think of floor anchors....or plane tickets for wierd

Comment

Here's a couple of reasonably crappy pics

It's starting to get shiny and new!

It really is in fine shape! The paint is peeling in a couple of patches but I don't care.
                          I still haven't powered it up yet. Haven't had time to get a twist plug that I use for all my 220 stuff.

Comment

Man, I envy you! Looks like a nice machine and it has all the features I want, Feed screw separate from lead screw, spindle switch on the carriage, d-nose and a foot brake! Enjoy!!!

------------------
                            Deep Sea Tool Salvage
                            Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Nice lathe!
                              David from jax

------------------
                              Have gun, will travel.
                              A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Working...
                              X