Fatal Attraction II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal Attraction II

Yechhh! Another magnet post. I promise I won't bring it up again.

How about a few "magnets in the shop" tips? Heres one or two that might be useful.

A few squares of lexan, various sizes. A handful of 10-15 pound pull NIBs. Epoxy a short piece of dowel to each magnet, an inch or two long. Use the magnets to configure the lexan as chip/coolant shielding on the mill. Now I don't have to hide under the workbench when I run a flycutter. The dowel makes it easy to stick, unstick the mags.

Throw the extra magnets in a coupla resealable plastic bags. Toss them where the chips accumulate. When the've grown enough hair, turn them inside out over the trash. Rebag, reuse. Throw a bag in the parts tank. Throw one in the washing machine when SWMBO is doing her "delicates".

Tie a string on the plastic bag (with mags inside) drag it around the shop floor. All of the ferric itty-bitty parts you have lost over the years will be recovered. Also will get the splinters that get in the dogs/cats feet. Tie the string to your belt and you can be busy while wandering in a daze.

Put a few in the top of your favorite hat, with chin strap. Put one or two steel runners in your shop ceiling. Stand under the runners. Now you can sleep and stay upright so you will look busy while waiting for sloooow backgear cut to complete.

When he's not looking, drop a 75 pound pull magnet in the back pocket of the shop hanger-on you can't get rid of. Invite him to try out your new, folding metal chair.

Use them as the third or forth hand you need while doing layout on the surface plate.

Tips?

Mike

So you get excited and grab a handful of the purty chips cause they are so pretty. Now you have 637 splinters in your paws. A 20-40 pound NIB will pull them out, if the skin hasn't grown over the splinter. The eye doc uses a 50 pound NIB to pull splinters out of the eye. Please don't try the eye thing at home, you might pop your eye out and wind up with a change in outlook.

[This message has never been edited by MMurphy (edited 04-17-1918).]

[This message has been edited by MMurphy (edited 04-17-2005).]

Michael,

Just glad you're not collecting smoke detectors............................

------------------
    Barry Milton
    Barry Milton

Comment

Barry,

Are they magnetic??

Mike

Comment

No, but it seems it's really easy to make your own nuke out of a pile of them...

Ian
        All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

My current use for little super magnets is to hold a chip pan (cookie sheet) in place under my horizontal bandsaw. I also use one on the front way of my lathe as a simple depth stop/indicator for boring. It's just a little one and so far I haven't noticed any magnetizing of the way. I also use one in a baggy to pick up cast iron chips.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I use a real powerful one on the kitchen frige. It holds my clipboard of project list of things I would like to get done for myself. It covers my wife's "honey do" list. Looks butt ugly but works great. Can withstand many disgusted type door slammings without budgeing

[This message has been edited by Your Old Dog (edited 04-18-2005).]
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

i would need one of those 100-pounders to hold the "to do" list on the fridge.

i like the tips. i'll keep my eyes open for any of those magnets that i may come across.

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

One of the magnets from a hard drive mounted on the end of a 36" long 1/2" dia dowel. I use it to pick up the magnetic letters that my son loves play with on the fridge, they end up all over the floor and I hate stooping, so the dowel does the work - gets under the fridge and counters.
                Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

Rob the magnets from old speakers.
                  Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Remember the James Bond movie with the bad guy with steel teeth. Well, for when you go on vacation in the old eastern bloc; pop a 50 pounder in your mouth and get some free kisses from the ladies with steel dental work. Just be sure not to swallow the mag! Wait a minute!! Lets see.. your constipated...? Better not go there.

Put up some sheet metal on the wall behind your work bench. Make up some straps with mags on the ends, paste up your tools and parts and unclutter your work area. Easier to configure/change than peg board.

Comment

i put an old speaker magnent on the oil filter of my tractor.

Comment

Junk microwave ovens are a great free source of doughnut magnets, but don't play with the high voltage transformer!

Comment

5 1/4 inch floppy disk drives have a nice big strong toroid magnet in the pancake motor about three inches diameter and 3/16 thick. Superb fridge magnets with lots of pull. Nice little hole in the middle for a handle too.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I use a rare earth magnet on the inside of the sheet metal pulley housing on my drill press. Just slap the chuck key on the outside of the housing at the magnet location, and it's there when needed -- no strings to tangle, etc. Now if I could just stop walking off with it in my hand.....
                            Lynn S.

Comment

I use a little magnet and a business card on the bottom of the threading tool holder. Back light on the card and a jewelers' loupe in my good eye makes it real easy to set the tool angle in the fishtail. Keep the Starrett card (the one with decimal equivs and tap drill sizes) nailed to the work light with another little magnet. Also keep a slip of cigarette paper pinned to the overhead light with one for setting zero contact. Can't say as I care much for magnetic tool holders in general, but a magnet combined with the layout scribe is good for pulling swarf out of little blind holes.
                              I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Working...
                              X