Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary table t-slots

1st post...I'm a newby.
    I bought a used Yuasa 6" rotary table & was wondering if I should use t-slot bolts or go with what seems to be too small of a t-slot nut? Thanks,Jay.

I also have a Yuasa. A 10". Mine takes the 3/8" size tee nuts.

I would not recommend using an incorrect size tee bolt or nut. There should be about 1/32" (give or take) clearance on both sides of the tees. Most of the flat of the tee should be resting against the underside of the slot. If you have too little area in contact, you are taking a chance on breaking or bending either the nut or the table.

Measure your slots and buy/make the correct size hardware. There are many standard sizes, English and metric.

Paul A.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Jay,

You can use either; a bolt with a T profile head, or a T nut. In either case, the T profile needs to be a close fit in the slot, or (as Paul says) you run the risk of damaging the slot. That would make you one distinctly unhappy puppy...

Most of the commercially available clamping kits come with a few nuts and a lot of different length studs - these tend to be the most useful. Bolts are more often used with dedicated bits of equipment (eg. a machine vise or a dividing head will often have its 'own' set of T bolts). For most other clamping, use T nuts & studs.

I don't know what size work you're doing, but I'll bet that your first problem will be that 6" just isn't enough (where have I heard that before?). Once you have the work on the table, there's not much room for clamping bars & studs. It's sometimes possible to stretch it a bit by slipping T profile extender bars into the slots so the bars stick out, and the studs go in tapped holes in the bar outboard of the table.

Rotary tables are *never* big enough...

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

nuts are easy to mount, make or find.

t-nut= $2, t-bolt= $10

I used to run a 62" king vertical turret lathe and it had t-bolts, they suck I would have to pick up the jaws(like a very big mean mill vice) and set them over the 4 bolts, a total pain.

on a little rotary table why have the pain of a t-bolt? it all works the same.

Comment

Thanks guys,much appreciated. I'm doing mostly small R/C related parts but I do see the size issues with the table already.Even though I haven't used it. I will make some t-nuts out of aluminum first.

Pics here http://gallery.intlwaters.com/index.php?cat=10060

[This message has been edited by JayB (edited 04-21-2005).]

Comment

MSC has a large variety of T-nuts and T-bolts. They're not very expensive and they're the right stuff.

Mike P
            Mike P
            1919 13" South Bend Lathe
            1942 Bridgeport M-head Mill

Comment

You got some fine toys there. I am assuming they are battery powered because I don't know squt about RC. Gotta be fun though.
              I answer to your question, as stated above buy or make the proper tee nut or tee bolts and you will save yourself a lot of grief.

Oh yea, wellcome to the board.

------------------
              Paul G.

[This message has been edited by Paul Gauthier (edited 04-21-2005).]
              Paul G.

Comment

Bought some TE-CO t-nuts,studs,etc.
                The fun begins...there was a tight spot at about 190* & being one who can't leave anything alone(before I even used it)I took the table apart. There is a nice chunk out of the ring gear & its contrails to go with it. Here's hoping Yuasa has the part. I figure it's like buying an old car....way better than what's available now but you just know it'll need something. Thanks for the kind welcome! Jay.

Comment

Ring gear in stock at Yuasa! Only $155 & it will be like new again. Fantastic service to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                  X