OT: Lathe topic - Thread dial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Lathe topic - Thread dial

Sorry I haven't any health, marriage, or child support problems to discuss 8*D

The one thing I miss the most on my Grizzly 3-1 lathe is a thread dial. Anyone have any suggestions on how to gin up an add-on?

dp

This might give you a few ideas...
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/010203.html
    Good Luck!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

That's a thing of beauty, Russ. Never occured to me to make one from scratch but that is damned inspiring. Time to think about an indexer, too.

dp

Comment

Not wanting to hijack dp's post but the first person to email me the specs of the SB threading gear details gets a free one.

Need to know OD, width of gear, width of boss, diameter of boss, bore and whether the leadscrew is RH or LH.
        I know what they look like from Russ's picture.

$64,000 bonus question is will this fit a Logan?
        If not same applies, first picture and same details by email gets a free gear.

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 04-22-2005).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

What model/size Logan?

Comment

Revisiting this got me to wondering if that drawing is still around? After ogling my Griz for a bit it seems quite feasible to add such a feature. The messy part would be the gear but I have a lot of hacksaw blades and plenty of time.

dp

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rex:
              What model/size Logan?</font>

Don't know, not familar with that make.
              Do they share a dial? if not which model is the most popular.
              It is all really determined by the leadscrew.
              If they are 8 tpi then the dial is 32 T so the OD should be 1.393" and the helix has to match the hand of the screw.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John, e-mail me and let me know what you need, I might have one for you, let me rumage around a little this weekend. (It might take a day or two, I've got Abby for the weekend)

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X