What happened to the price of R134-a?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the price of R134-a?

I just priced a 30lb. tank of automotive R134a refrigerant after using just about all I had left from last year. Holly Smokes! The stuff has Quadrupled!

What's going on? A 12oz. can was about $3.50 last year. Today, the going rate is $12-$14.

A bird told me R-134a is on the way out and soon to be replaced with CO2. Anybody else hear this?

I use red tek, a direct replacement ,I do not remember where it is made ,but it is cheap . was last time I needed some anyway.

It takes less and cools real well
    NRA member

Gun control is using both hands

Comment

One section of our plant charges cooling equipment. Our big problem is gas for transportation of goods. Our second bigest problem is R134-a, R22 and the such. We have started to recliam all of it from returned or serviced goods. The stuff might as well be gold. The only good point about working there is, everyone's cars have cold air for the summer.

We have been told that R134-A is similar to steel. The Chinese and Tiwaneese are buying lots of it for the products that they make. This creates a sellers market. Since they dont pay much in wadges, they are willing to pay more for the raw materials. This puts us out of the market. Who knows if this is legit? rock

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 04-21-2005).]
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

The whole thing is a sham!There was NO reason to take R-12 of the market other than Dupont making more money and using the Eco-nazis to do it.

I bought a windo unit last year,made in USA charged in Mexico right next to a label "Charged with R-12"

I quess all of that ozone depletion BS stops at the border.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If R134a gets any higher, it'll be cheaper to go back to R12!

Found this on the web. It's from Germany but looks like a peek into the future.
          http://www.luk.de/content/en/product...ompressors.jsp

Sounds like another attempt at getting rid of old cars. If you want A/C, you'll have to convert the whole system this time.

Comment

Propane is relatively inexpensive. Fire problem, due to small amount used, is small. Probably less dangerous than gasoline. It may be used as a fuel but not a refrigerant? Cools very well.
            Jim

Comment

NH3, or Anhydrous Ammonia would be nearly the best refridgerant to use. It just would suck to have to fix the leak though...

Comment

an ammonia bromide system is what hospitals use
                NRA member

Gun control is using both hands

Comment

Yikes! You guys (in the USA) better take a look at this:
                  http://www.epa.gov/spdpublc/snap/ref.../fittlist.html

Using anything that's not on this list or not using the correct fittings/label can get you into hot water. You will have violated the Clean Air Act. This applies to ALL INSTALLERS not just shops. (DIY included)

If someone works on your car (ac) and finds an unaccepted compound in your system, not only will they refuse to work on it they will probably "list" the vehicle.

Comment

Notice the stupid thread diameters,8/16ths?Sheez,when civil servants smoke crack

Then notice this at the bottom of the color chart-

* These refrigerants have not been marketed yet; therefore, label colors have not been developed.

Which tells me people are thinking ahead

Bottom line,call your congressman and or state rep everyday and demand an end to the clean air act!
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have spoken directly with sales reps for this in my line of work, 134a has been tight due to the "global market" and on top of that there is a planned maintenance shut down scheduled this year, making the supply tighter for the year. We were told to buy later in the year if possible, and we buy alot 1-2 bulk tank trucks a year. (Small compared to some companies, but big considering its 20,000 lbs or more at a time.)

Comment

Working...
                      X