Paint for South Bend Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint for South Bend Lathe

Am refurbushing a 10" heavy South Bend lathe. What is the best kind of paint to use: enamel or lacquer? And...what is the proper color? LeBond does not carry paint any more. Has there been a thread on this topic? Any pointers on preparation are welcome.
    Roger

I've used Rust-Oleum enamel with good results. The stuff brushes on well and is fairly durable. I think their gray is a pretty decent color for machine tools, although it doesn't exactly match the South Bend gray.

Their have been various threads in the past on painting machine tools, so a search of the archive would probably be of use.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

See here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/000313.html

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 04-21-2005).]
      Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

Matching the original color on a SB can be tough, because the color varied over the years. My 9C looks like it was originally blue. Parts I'm getting from Ebay are different colors. Dark gray, dark gray with a hint of olive drab, light gray with a hint of light green. I'm basing this on what I find to be the color next to the iron as I scrape down. Unless you're doing a museum quality restoration, go with what you like.

Comment

For sure not this color

This is closer

This is about perfect IMO

------------------
          Barry Milton
          Barry Milton

Comment

Working...
          X