D1 mount advice needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 mount advice needed...

another new one for you! And a dumb noob one as usual!
    I spent part of last night and most of the afternoon and night cleaning all the fishguts off the four jaw and face plate.
    Got them all assemble, the four jaw mounted up fine and turns true.
    The face plate is a different story. It has a pretty big air gap...I'm thinking around 20 thou (I measured it with my micrometer eyes). Had to do a lot of tapping and careful tightening to get it to run true.
    Is this common with these nose setups? It seems like a pain in the butt to me.
    Would you live with this much gap or would you get out the angle grinder and smooth er' up some so it'd fit better (kidding)
    Serious though...would you chuck it up in a four jaw and take a hair off so it would fit closer?
    Yes..I know I could weld it but it's such a PITA grinding it off everytime you need the chuck and Thrud made me promise to quit welding everything! Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Well Russ I'm a bit supprised although I read that others have problems too but I don't have any of those issues here.

I don't belive the gap is the trouble. Personaly I would blue up the tapers and see how they are fitting first.

John.

Comment

John...the three and four jaws both just snug up to the shoulder. The face plate is a bit crude looking so maybe a bit of blue would be the way to go. I never thought of that. Thanks!
      Russ

Comment

It's not supposed to; camlocks are supposed to be drop-in, lock, and go - I will second the idea of checking it with a bit of blue indicator dye, but also check to make sure that the mating surfaces are clean and deformation-free; one tiny chip or burr sticking out that you didn't see can do this.

Comment

hh..I stoned off a couple of little burrs that where on the face before I tried it but there could have been something I missed.
          Was getting late and I wanted to try to mount an oddball piece on the face plate to bore it.
          Going to pull it off first thing and look it over,

Comment

There should be no gaps in the setup. The taper and flat areas should both seat tightly. My first instinct would be to blue and check for chips or burrs. If the faceplate passes that test, most likely the female taper is out of tolerance. You can either re-machine it with care, or return it to the store for one that's right. Do you have that last option?

Comment

Working...
            X