Are these *so* much in demand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these *so* much in demand?

Anyone out there have an old fixed steady for a Colchester Triumph lathe? You may want to put it on ebay. This guy's doing well with his:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Seems like an awful lot of dosh for something that needs refurbishing before it's usable. Odd - he's also selling a travelling steady, that's not doing anywhere near as well.

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

I got one just like it a couple months ago, it was $150. Plus shipping. Fortunately, the seller failed to put the magic words anywhere in the description, "Colchester Triumph"
    I wonder if people know that new ones can be had for about $300. from Lagun. Their Turnmaster lathes are clones of the Triumph, and at least the bedways measure close enough for the steady to fit fine.

TC
    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
    Oregon, USA

Comment

Bloody hell,
      I cut one of those up yesterday to fit my small TOS.

[EDIT] Just realised the one I altered was the roller bearing model.

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 04-27-2005).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Even the junker steadies are high if they fit a popular model. South Bend steadies regularly go for $250 - $350, and followers are over $200.

I bought a no-name follower, cut 3" out of the middle to get it to center height, welded it back together & made a base adapter. Cost $50 plus some HRS scrap. Other than the welding, it only involved drilling 4 holes & tapping two of those. Should be a pretty easy job for almost any HSM.

------------------
        Barry Milton
        Barry Milton

Comment

What? I have a steady that came with my SB9 but doesn't fit it. I'll post a picture tonight. I'm curious if anyone can identify it.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I have a Clausing Colchester student that i got used, and the steady rest is still in its original packaging unopend from 1969 when it was made.

Comment

Holy heck! That is crazy.

I had better go give mine a polish.

It won't be going up on ebay though.

------------------
              Live long and prosper.

John.

Comment

Working...
              X