Got some new reamers, not sure on the sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some new reamers, not sure on the sizes

Hello all, my name is Bert and I'm addicted to Ebay. Heh, that site is like a drug! There were a whole lot of reamers on there the other day and I bought them. Basically cause they were a) a good deal and b) shiny. Most of them are too big for really anything I'll need, but they were cheap and they looked big and cool. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

So now I have a big ole truckload of reamers to play with. What I need from you guys is to tell me the best way to size them up. Quite a few don't have markings, or they are unclear, etc. I tried to measure them with some calipers but that didn't work too well for me, I would be off by a few thous on some of the ones that were marked. Plus, 2 of them seem to be adjustable- they have a setscrew in the tips of them. That's something else I'm unfamiliar with. If you guys know of a good way, please let me know!
    Thanks
    Bert
    You never learn anything by doing it right.

Nice haul! Try measuring one that you're sure of the size of with a mic to get the feel of it.
    Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Been there, done that. Posted almost the same question on this or the PM website. I spent a lot of evenings looking through a magnifying visor and grouping into fractional, letter, numbered, and metric lots. Then I used the hardened steel drill index plates to group the "unmarked" reamers. Finally, got out the mic's and measured as best I could. A big job for sure. I probably have around 300 to 400 reamers

Comment

I just looked at your auction link. Ha! you call that a truckload? You ain't got nothing there. I could size those in no time flat. For accuracy, you almost have to drill an undersized hole and then use the reamer to size the hole. Measure the hole to find out what your reamer is going to give you.

Comment

The ones with the set screw in them were designed to be opened up so they could be resharpened and still retain there original size. Once resharpened you can adjust them to ream undersize. It is not recommended to adjust them to cut oversize but I do it anyway, just limit it for slip fit and there should'ent be any problems. I have every size in 64ths up to 1" and by 32nds to 1.5". I did see that group a while back but I figured I would let you win it, I know how you get "so" exited when you win!. Enjoy your new toys!!!

Ohh- sort them from smallest to largest and use a piece of thick wood with matching holes to mount them them in. Then just mark the sizes!. Of course as soon as you do this you will find more and need to start over!!.

[This message has been edited by Jim Luck (edited 04-27-2005).]

Comment

Nice buying, Bert.

I was really tempted to say that you got reamed but thought better of it.

------------------
            Barry Milton
            Barry Milton

Comment

The only sure way is to measure. Then again, if they have been re-sharpened, they may cut a bit OS or US.
              CCBW, MAH

Comment

No one seemed to give any tips on measuring them. I also bought a bunch of reamers on E-Bay some time ago. Over 50 in one batch so I had an instant assortment that has had many sizes I have wanted to use since then. I have only had to buy one new one for a special purpose.

As for measuring them, yes you can and with good accuracy. To tenths if you have a mike that reads them.

The technique I used was to set the mike to the approximate size across two opposite edges about a quarter inch behind the tip and then gently rotated the reamer BACKWARDS in the mike jaws. Usually the mike would be adjusted too small at first setting and the reamer would not rotate with light pressure. If it does rotate, then close the mike a thousanth or two until it does not. That is your starting point. Remember the pressure is LIGHT and you are turning it BACKWARDS so it will not cut the mike.

Then open the mike a small bit and try to rotate again. Continue opening and rotating until it does rotate with a small amount of drag as the flutes pass the jaws. That is proper reading.

On the reamers that were marked, this method produced readings that were within a few tenths of the marked value. Be sure to measure a bit from the end as they may be worn there.

Paul A.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Paul Alciatore is telling you right so as not to eat good measuring tools.
                  drill some scrap and use it. ream 3 holes 3-4 diameters deap, that will tell you)

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info.

I guess I should be more clear when referring to a "haul"- I'm 19 and paying for most all of my tool stuff, with no job (coming soon I hope) heh, so all these reamers are a big lot for me. Specially when most of my stuff is Harbor Freight quality...
                    You never learn anything by doing it right.

Comment

Working...
                    X