Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arghhhhhhhh small screws

Firstly @^&(%#$!&#(*^$^%........

Now that I have that off my chest here's the problem...

I have a Mauser 98 300Win Mag conversion done by Kimber...Anyway it is tapped for scope mounts but what thread it actually was tapped with I don't know....

It has two piece mounts and one of the mounts snapped off when I was trying to remove the barrell....Now I am trying to make up some new screws on the lathe to replace the broken ones...

The two other screws I have measure out at 3.5mm which is the same size as No.6 so I have cut some threads namely 40tpi, 44tpi, and 0.6mm to find out what pitch it actually is....None of those pitches match the screws I have...My lathe won't cut 48 tpi and I am guessing that that is the pitch I need...

Is there a No6X48 standard thread in the US or why would they use a non standard screw to start with.....It certainly is annoying....
    Precision takes time.

#6-48 TPI is pretty much a standard size for Scope mounting screws.

You're not going to find them at the local hardware store, try Brownell's for what you need.

HTRN

------------------
    This Old Shed
    EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Oh OK....checking out Brownells might be a bit difficult though when I am 10 000 miles away...

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 04-30-2005).]
      Precision takes time.

Comment

Ringer, I would guess the screw is 6-48, like mentioned a common size for scope mounting. I was going to offer to mail you a couple with a tap but I would imagine you have a gunsmith not too far away.
        Michael

Comment

Ringer,

Brownells ships worldwide, even to Australia. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Home/default.aspx

------------------
          Barry Milton
          Barry Milton

Comment

Thanks everyone......I eventually configured the lathe to cut a thread very near to 48tpi and they did the job.....I need to cut some change gears the lathe it does 24tpi on the QCGB but not 48 it misses it and does 44 then 56...

Precision takes time.

Comment

Working...
            X