Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time To Make A Stand

Well it's all broke down.

Between life's little interruption I managed to disassemble the mill I bought. This one must of been made on a Wednesday or when Head Honcho was touring factory. I'm quite impressed with the fit and finish on all it's parts. No sand or flash trash to be found. The only thing I could find was a small burr on the end of the worm screw for the rack and pinion that raises the head. Boy what a heavy bugger even tore down to parts.

Ok so now I'm about to make a stand for it... I had some 2x4x1/8" tube on hand so that's what I'm making the main frame out of. I've been mulling over the height I should make it. The stand they sell for these mills has a 19 1/2" H. anyone have their mill set on one of these... if so how is the working height? Or maybe better asked at what height is you mill table set at and are you happy or if you had it to do over. What would you do different this time?

Thanks
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

I don't know what kind of mill you refer to but benches and machine tables and stuff seem to work best for me if they're about belt buckle high.

Comment

I extended the factory stand so that the top of the mill table is 46" above the floor.

FWIW the center height on the lathe is at 50" (it was 7" lower from the factory).

------------------
      Barry Milton
      Barry Milton

Comment

Sorry about that... this is the mill I picked up.

precisionworks: that would make your stands table height about 36"?

[This message has been edited by Tinkerer (edited 04-30-2005).]
        Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

LOL... I think Barry is 6'11" or so. I wouldn't put it so high that you need a stepstool to work the down feed.

Make the stand work for you. Imagine standing at your mill for an hour or two. Make it fit YOU. You'll be glad you did.

Comment

Tinkerer, I have the same setup. My stand is 19 1/2. From the floor to the bed is 29 inches. My RT is 4". That brings me to 33". I'm going to raise my stand 4inches as I would like to be around 36 to 37 inches to top of the RT. I'm 6ft tall.

BTW, glad to hear you're satisfied with yours. I haven't had a chance to pull mine down yet to check it out. Just finishing up my shop and didn't want to do that job till shop was done.

Ray....
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tinkerer:
              Sorry about that... this is the mill I picked up.

precisionworks: that would make your stands table height about 36"?
              </font>
              Interested to see how this works out for you. Made in India or China?
              Mark

Comment

Tinkerer,

You're exactly right, 36" to the top of the stand.

Ken, only 6'1". The distance from my elbow to the floor is 45" + 1" of rubber cushion pad, so this puts the mill table at a really convenient height. I can stand for hours without a backache as no bending is involved.

As Ken said, the height has to fit the user. My Dake arbor press is mounted on top of a stand 52" high, which puts the press table only slightly below my eye level. Since I can still reach up & grab the handle it works well.

But some of my friends have to use a stool...............................

------------------
                Barry Milton
                Barry Milton

Comment

That looks very similar to my 7045.The stand I got with it was 16" high!I got another 12" built on top,making it a comfortable height for me.Only problem is i can't wind the head up too high,hits my 6'ceiling

------------------
                  Hans
                  Hans

Comment

Comment

The phrase isn't "Time to MAKE a stand." but "It is time to TAKE a stand."

Spence

Comment

Dave Opincarne.

Is that your shop? It's far too clean and orderly.

You need hills of junk, stacks of half finished projects, and stuff too good to throw out to set it off. You're never gonna get a spread in "This Old Eyesore" with that tidy operation.

Comment

Yea, shop's relativly orginized, but don't ask about the atached studio apartment. I posted this to show the stand for the mill. I didn't take this shot to specificly show the stand, but I think it can be seen. It is welded 1/8" angle, forming an inverted right triangle. I've welded short tabs at the front and at an appropriate leangth in the back to form a basket to take the base. It is also through bolted to the mill and held to the wall by a series of Hilti anchor bolts. It frees up the area under the floor and a small shelf can be fitted under the mill. I also make use of old metal desks in the shop. They're cheap and hold small machines well.

Comment

The stuff to good to throw out is stored in the backs of the truck and landcruiser in the driveway, in the neighbors garage and around the side of the house. Generaly I try to keep the shop limited to tools and current projects. The exception is bike storage.

Comment

Here's a litle better picture, hope it gives someone some ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X