No announcement yet.

OT: 180 MPG Hybrid. Sorta.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ELF has burned houses under construction, a "save our trees" message.
    So, more trees are cut to replace houses.
    Too many nut groups in this country.

Comment

Last month I calculted the cost per mile for my '03 4x4 Ranger, even with my big discount from Ford the cost over 100,000 miles worked out to $0.45 per mile. This includes gas, insurance, cost of the vehicle, maintence, and expected repairs. I had thought about buying a larger truck but instead bought the Ranger with the largest engine and greatest towing capacity. If it don't fit in the bed it will fit on my flat bed car trailer. I've hauled drywall, plywood, kitchen cabinets, two mills, a surface grinder and countless other things besides cars which I originally bought it for. Cost per year is only the plates which is covered every year by renting the trailer out to friends or even saving them a tow buy showing up with truck and trailer, they gladly pay me half what the tow company would charge.

Back on point though, as hydrogen fuel cell technology develops it will get cheaper, like cell phones and TVs. Currently a vehicle sized cell cost about $40K, I remember when "car phones" were $4000 now they almost give them away.

What peeves me though is some of our environmental laws. According to my brother who is a Ford engineer the European version of my truck is available with a turbo-diesel with more torque and towing capacity than my 4.0SOHC motor and much better fuel economy. he told me they won't bring the option here because of leftist California and some other states emmisions laws. What a shame, think of a mini truck tooling along at 30+ mpg yet still able to two 6000+ lbs. As an aside I was told recently by a trucking company I do computer work for that their trucks get 5-6 mpg. When you consider the weight these things pull plus the weight of the tractor and trailer it's easy to see why a diesel mini truck would be great. One of our part time workers has a turbo-diesel Golf, I think she said it gets 45 or more mpg!

------------------
      -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

my wife has a vauxhall corsa, powered by a 975cc 3 cylinder DOHC engine. it carries 2 plus luggage in comfort,does 56 mpg at 70mph and has a 9.5 gallon petrol tank. i certainly dont want anything bigger with petrol at آ£3.74 per gallon!!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What peeves me though is some of our environmental laws. According to my brother who is a Ford engineer the European version of my truck is available with a turbo-diesel with more torque and towing capacity than my 4.0SOHC motor and much better fuel economy. he told me they won't bring the option here because of leftist California and some other states emmisions laws.
          [/B]</font>
          I have seen exactly two diesil Rangers,both were 84 or 85 models with a Perkins turbo diesil.Ford used to offer it here,but lke you said the folk from "Granola land" screwed that one up.
          Strange seeing a Ranger that didn't sound like a Ranger

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 05-02-2005).]
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I still want a car that runs on SEX!

Tom M.

Comment

Mayfield.. They all do, the dealer screws ya.

HA..

Perkins powered rangers, now, that is a pleasant ideal. Unless of course they screw it all up like they did the 3/4 1 ton trucks with sensors and computers and so much complicated crap it won't run without a towtruck on call.
              I have had 5 friends purchase a Ford diesel only to have mucho heartbreak. Union electricians use thier trucks to move thier campers from job to job. One in the shop ain't working.

The engines in school buses are still commercial engines that last and last, the thing to do is to purchase a old bus, purchase a 1 ton chassis and marry the two. Imagine a real allison transmission too.

if the throttle still hooks to the injector pump, it's a commercial engine.

Comment

*double post*

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 05-02-2005).]

Comment

I have to admit after riding in my brothers 347 stroker 302, aluminum headed and custom Kenne Bell supercharged Ranger splash that I've been curious about putting a powerstroke diesel into my Ranger. Hmmm let's see all the towing power of his truck without premium gas at 8 mpg. Seriously he has a neat truck and it can spin all four wheels but it's about useless to drive with the cost of gas and all the money and time he's put into it. He even fabbed up custom headers on a separate frame, modified the blower snout etc. all for a truck that can still get passed by a lightly modded Mustang getting better mpg.

Curious to learn about the troubles with the Ford diesels, all the guys around here that have them swear by how tough they are. But I've been thinking along the same lines of using a commercial diesel in a pre-80 chassis (no emmisions testing). For awhile I had an F100 short bed with a Lincoln 460, pulled a trailer like nobody's business but couldn't pass a gas station. The same truck with a diesel would have been cool as heck. Probably even weigh the same as my 4500lb Ranger. One of these days....

------------------
                  -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

RSR:

Are you aware, 2 stroke oil increases the octane level of fuel dramatically. (also increases the shelf life)

I used to run it in my panhead, factory 11.5:1 compression. Without it, it sounded like pop corn. Ohh for the days of Sunoco 260 premium. (I had a built 750 honda w/12:1 that ran it) It'd have a blue flame coming out the header at 100mph. (yeah running rich, high overlap cam) I kinda wish I had that bike back. I totalled it three times. Not much left.

David

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
                      RSR:

Are you aware, 2 stroke oil increases the octane level of fuel dramatically. (also increases the shelf life)

I used to run it in my panhead, factory 11.5:1 compression. Without it, it sounded like pop corn. Ohh for the days of Sunoco 260 premium. (I had a built 750 honda w/12:1 that ran it) It'd have a blue flame coming out the header at 100mph. (yeah running rich, high overlap cam) I kinda wish I had that bike back. I totalled it three times. Not much left.

David
                      </font>
                      Yup, so does toluene which I get free from work! Used to make my own race gas for the drag car with it. Pretty cheap when you buy toluene by the drumload.

I've seen a lot of turbo 911's shoot flames out the back even on regular gas, with the motor in back there is little room for much of an exhaust. The drag car used to spit flames from time to time as well, same thing, a little rich and lots of cam. I made sure to run the fuel lines well away from the header collectors. Somewhere I've got a pic a buddy snapped of my crossing the finish line at night, flames at 130mph are way cool, it's a shame I never got to see it. Well maybe not, driving the car was plenty of excitement . Now that I'm married with child I just tinker on the old Porsche and dream of the toys I could have.

------------------
                      -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

I saw an oilfield Ford 450 with a turbo supercharged Waulkesha diesil in it,boy did it sound sweet.Guy that drove it said"40 foot hotshot trailer and 20,000lbs of drill pipe no problem"

I wish I could shoehorn an old two cycle Detroit into a one ton.I would have the loudest,nastiest most enviromentaly incorrect vehicle in town
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                        X