No announcement yet.

Is there such thing as a power nibbler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such thing as a power nibbler?

This is more of a sheet metal question: Everyone's probably seen a nibbling tool - the little hand tool that takes rectangular "bites" out of light weight sheet metal. There are some things that are just perfect for this tool, but only in low quantity. Like cutting a square hole in an aluminum panel.

Problem is that all the ones I've seen are pretty cheaply made, and this type of tool is usually considered "bush league". The one I've used most recently is so poorly designed it'll blister your hands after about an hour's use.

Is there such thing as a "power nibbler"? I'm imagining a table about a foot square with the working part of the tool sticking up out of the center. Come to think of it, it might be a little like a shaper with the stroke being vertical, rather than horizontal, and a lot shorter.

Sorry if this is a dumb question about a tool everyone else has seen - I'm just curious and wondering if I'll have to build one.

Wait, wait. I don't mean the handheld or air powered thing used by body shops. I mean like a table-mounted thing.

-M

[This message has been edited by Wirecutter (edited 04-28-2005).]
    The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Sure, at least hand held versions. Available in air or electric, even an attachment for a standard drill motor. Harbor Freight carries several, just search for nibbler on their site.

Dennis

Comment

Like this?
      http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=81556

I have one but have not used it much. I may make a table mount to improve controllability.

Wes
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I've found a metal cutting blade in the jigsaw works pretty good,although a bit noisy.

Until I tried it I was a bit sceptical but it did the last job I needed it for on 1/16" thick plate.

Allan

Comment

I bought a used Kidde "Kibbler" Power Nibbler a while back in a moment of insanity. It has a hydraulic pump and the nibbler is mounted on a table similar to a saw table, with a fence, etc. The nibbler die pokes up through the table and comes down on the die mounted on the table surface. It came with a number of different shaped nibbler dies. Unfortunately it draws more amps than my poor carport wiring can handle so I have to wait until I build my shop to put it to use.
          As far as I know they are no longer made.
          Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

Powered? This one is powered by me?
            http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/009664.html

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nick Carter:
              I bought a used Kidde "Kibbler" Power Nibbler a while back in a moment of insanity. It has a hydraulic pump and the nibbler is mounted on a table similar to a saw table, with a fence, etc. The nibbler die pokes up through the table and comes down on the die mounted on the table surface. It came with a number of different shaped nibbler dies. </font>
              I'll have to look for something like this. It's what I think I'm looking for. The next step up is a shaper and a special jig.

As far as I know they are no longer made.</font>
              Yah, that figures. Maybe someone makes 'em - I'll have to do some web searching tonight if I can keep out of the shop. (yeah right)

Thanks all!

-M

The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wes1:
                Like this?
                http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&T ype=Product&ID=81556

I have one but have not used it much. I may make a table mount to improve controllability.

Wes
                </font>

I need to consider this one. Maybe it can also be table mounted, maybe it wouldn't need to be. I'll bet it makes a hell of a noise!

Thanks for the info.

-M

Comment

HF sells power nibbler, I have an air powered set. Works great.

Jerry

Comment

I bought a used Kidde "Kibbler" Power Nibbler </font>
                    I should have said Kidder, "Kibbler", made by Kidder Manufacturing Company, Inc. In Vermont.
                    See what happens when your 2-1/2 year old wakes you up every 20 minutes all night?

[This message has been edited by Nick Carter (edited 04-28-2005).]
                    Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

ENCO #DG505-3151
                      Electric gobler

Comment

I picked up and old Pexto punch press with a 24" deep throat for less than $100.

Had it setup for nibbling plate up to 1/4" thick.Just a round punch and die and a ball bearing stripper.

The whole thing only wieghs 1500 lbs.

Why not take a regular hand held air or electric nibbler and mount it under a table with the business end sticking up?
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I cut a lot of brass plate up to 1/2 inch with a metal cutting blade in a jigsaw. Find it best to clamp some guides to the sheet to get straight lines. Give the jigsaw a rest now and then and keep checking the blade.Given steady speeds wear is not a problem. If you try to rush you pay the price. Hell blades are cheap.
                          For circles I cut outside the line by hand and clean up on the lathe. My old hands make for some funny looking circles.
                          Best of luck,
                          bobby.
                          boef

Comment

Quote: I'll bet it makes a hell of a noise!

Really not too bad. Actually quieter than a saber saw or sawzall. The tool is smaller than it appears in the ad, maybe 8" overall length.

Wes
                            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I've no actual experience with them but I believe Diacro makes/made stationary nibblers and I assume some of the companies that make sheet metal equipment do as well. As far as hand held nibblers go I've considered buying one in the past but haven't located one to my liking. It seems they're either too small, limited to about 16ga or too large rated to 8ga. What little sheet metal I work with is usually in the 14-10ga range. An 8ga nibbler would handle it, but they're expensive and heavy.
                              Just curious, what's your application?

take care
                              bernie

Comment

Working...
                              X