Assistance Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance Needed

I've got a Chinese lathe and the compound has a partial degree tape on it that is press riveted on. Over time, the swarf is starting to obliterate the degree markings which are merely painted on.

The compound and top slide are a single cast unit so I'm unable (or too incompetent) to set this up and cut the degree markings.

On a previous post I remember guys making a degree tape on their pc which was then affixed to the required area, eg., a micrometer dial.

Can anyone help me with a way to do this? I'm working with a circumference of 14.357 inches and a width of 0.5 inch

TIA

John B
    John B

I liked the way Evan did his, put a tool in the lathe sideways and rocked the carriage cutting a groove. Lots of rocking, must be a stubborn man.

David

Comment

You can use any auto cad type program to lay out a scale, and by using the scaling (sizing control) you can shrink or strech you scale to the required lenght. Ink jet print it on thin white plastic and spray it with several coats of clear. Better yet if your CAD program can
      reverse the numbers you can use clear plastic and print on the inside of the scale

Comment

John,
        You scared me for a minute there. You know what happens when someone in our line of work says the word "assistance". Check out the link. It may be just what you need.

http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/degreewheel2.html

PS...The finger is healing nicely. It seems there was a foriegn body in there. I still have some numbness, but it is getting better.
        Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

not to hijack this thread, but Arbo, i was just thinking about you and your finger yesterday. glad to hear it is going to be okay.

andy b.
          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

jr45acp:

There is a place that will custom make a stick on graduated dial. (www.pitape.com)

Pete

Comment

John,

Here’s one that I made about four years ago. I made my graduations go completely around but they only need to be 180آ°, 0-90-0. I rotated mine 30آ° because I don’t like the zero to be directly under the compound which is typical on most lathes.

The dial is super glued to the cross-slide so, if needed, it can be removed. Mine has been on there for four years and hasn’t loosened yet. The collar is tapered, 1/8 inch on the outside to 3/16 inch in the inside. Makes it a bit more readable. On mine, the inside diameter is about 6 inches with an outside diameter of 7.5 inches - this leaves 3/4 of an inch for values and graduations. Material: just a piece of 1/2 inch cold rolled plate.

You can make this (or one of your own design) with the tools you already have (only need the lathe and some 1/8" stamps at the minimum). If you want detailed instructions just send me an email (will need a little time writing it up and to take some photos though).

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 05-06-2005).]

Comment

Beautiful work Mike.
                Why don’t you post your instructions here and share them with everyone.

Comment

Yea Mike. That's awesome!

------------------
                  Deep Sea Tool Salvage
                  Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Yes, postem'.

Comment

Yes indeed,excellent job!
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

thing of beauty.
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Very nice work Mike.

Comment

If I did the math right, that circumference of 14.357 inches divides into .0399inches per degree. Adding the thickness of the strip with the markings on it would make each degree almost exactly .04 inches. A strip of metal .010 thick wrapped around your compound will raise the circumference by just enough to get you 1 degree per .040 inches. You could clamp this strip of metal on the mill, and scratch the degree markings out using a sharp pointed cutter held in the chuck. The table is moved under the cutter using the y axis, and the cutter does not rotate. You can easily make every fifth marking longer with an extra turn of the handwheel. The x axis is advanced .040 for each degree mark. If your leadscrew is accurate enough, you'll have an accurately laid out scribed degree marker strip which you can fasten in place of the old one. Make it any length you wish, as space permits.

Something interesting: that circumference translates into almost exactly 360 mm, 364 by my calc. You could arrange to turn down that circumference just enough to make it exactly 360 mm. Then use a section of metric rule to wrap around it for your markings. There should be a stainless rule that would be suitable, except the markings won't have 0-90-0 or anything like that.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Mike...did you have to go to the art gallery and get permission to take pics of your own work? Sheesh, VERY nice work there bud!
                              Russ
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X