IS OLD MICH SHOP STILL AROUND?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS OLD MICH SHOP STILL AROUND?

When I was younger, my family and I spent a summer in the Holland, Michigan area. One day, while exploring the area, my father stumbled across an old machine shop that still employed the use of an overhead line shaft to drive the machinery. I was quite young and don't remember much more than that. I am interested if anyone has any more information to the existance of this machine shop? If it still exists, I'd like to travel to the area and visit this shop. I appreciate any information you can provide.

Sorry I don't have any more information to share with you would be shop-sleuths.

Thanks,

Damphmann

I am in Michigan, not the Holland area. I doubt that shop is around but maybe by calling the Chamber of Commerce you could find out. They'd be able to direct you to any organizations that my have protected that building.

Too, I wonder if Henry Ford Museum in the DT. area would know anything?

Good Luck-Jerald Ware
    Maho

Comment

Dear Jerald,

Thanks for the information. Believe it or not, the line shaft was still in operation some 25 years ago! Thanks for the advice about contacting someone in the area. (Maybe someone from the Village Press knows what I'm talking about. Traverse City isn't too far from Holland... Michigan, that is.)

I visited Greenfield Village last summer for the first time. I loved it! Their collection and facilities are second to none. My daughter enjoyed using their old turret lathe to make a small brass candlestick.

If any fellow HSM fan is reading this post hasn't been there, I strongly recommend a visit. You won't be disappointed. "Warning:" If you go, plan on spending more than one day at the Greenfield Village/Henry Ford complex.

Sincerely,

Martin

Comment

Working...
      X