Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebay item best avoided

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...516542180&rd=1

Had the misfortune of buying that piece on it's first go-round on there; just got done returning it for a refund. Doubt I buy anything from her again. At least now she's mentioning the backing plate being aluminum; what she doesn't mention is that the head of one of the adjustment screws is badly buggered up and the whole thing isn't even close to running true. Problem may or may not entirely be in the backing plate; I quickly lost interest in finding out. I'm guessing somebody started up the lathe with chuck key in place, and instead of sending the key flying across the shop it slammed it into the lathe bed hard enough to snap it off. Buyer beware.
    Mark

Ha...I'm just fighting with a guy about a tapping head I bought. Has missing/buggered parts. He claimed he'd used it and that it worked fine. Now he claims he never used it and didn't know it was screwed. I hope I can find parts for it...it looks well made and WAS expensive 200 years ago when it was new!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

This is exactly what bothers me about flea-bay.
      A few unscrupulous traders have taken too many people for a ride.I would now only buy stuff that's so low in value,it wouldn't matter if it turned out to be crap.Certainly things like chucks i would only buy where I can inspect it.
      Same old story I guess,caveat emptor

------------------
      Hans
      Hans

Comment

Thats much less than I paid for mine and it didn't have a backing plate. I made a plate to fit the spindle and cut a shoulder to seat true to the chuck and when I mounted it everything ran true. I then used some steel wool and cleaned her up real good. Four jaws are real useful. I think I'd have fixed it if I were you. It's kind of part and parcel of the hobby or trade. If you don't think you can make that little part or a backing plate, what do you expect to be able to make?

Comment

It's not always the sellers fault, you have to ask questions and get pictures, if they really want sell they will provide the info.
          You also get what you pay for, I tried to sell a monarch 8" 4 jaw chuck in like new
          condition, ($25) I even disassembled it and greased it and stated that it ran within half a thou. I got emails saying I was a price gouging jew for wanting so much.
          Now I either give the stuff to my friends
          or throw it away, I threw away new starrett
          cylinder gage last week, got one don't need two.
          I will also say that ebay needs to do more to protect buyers, there are scammers out there.
          Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

I find Ebay expensive to use especially if you usea reserve.
            I hope they will find a good alternative soon so that they have competition.Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Hehe, I got a 4-jaw from my local Harbor Freight (hey, not all of us can afford good stuff ) for free, just cause I asked. I was getting a 9x20, normal price about 800 or so I think, sometimes see it on sale for 640. I asked the manager if he knew when it would go on sale again. He just said, Hey, you can have it for 600. So I agreed, and when I was sorta checking it out I asked if it came with a 4-jaw chuck (although for that price I would've bought it anyway). He said no, but he had one that had been sitting on his desk for forever that he would just give me! I haven't checked it for alignment and all yet, but it appears to be OK.
              You never learn anything by doing it right.

Comment

I have never used E-Bay, if I need parts for my lathe I go to Atlas which is usually cheaper and on other tools either Enco or Travers, once in while I use MSC only if the other 2 don't have what I need.
                With E-bay I think it's usually worn out stuff people want to dispose of.
                I would prefer to have new even if it's made overseas.

Graeme

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SJorgensen:
                  I think I'd have fixed it if I were you. It's kind of part and parcel of the hobby or trade. If you don't think you can make that little part or a backing plate, what do you expect to be able to make?</font>
                  Considering that I could get a brand-new one for maybe $20 or $30 more, it really wasn't worth it. If a person could get into that one for maybe half what she's trying to sell it for, it might be a different story.
                  Mark

Comment

Ebay is good for getting really expensive things cheap,that is all.All of the commonly used items people sell on there either command nearly new price or they are junk.

As for chucks,unless you want a rag,buy new.I got two old four jaws 16 & 20" going to the scrap next load,they are wornout junk and need to be re-incarnated into razor blades.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alistair Hosie:
                      I find Ebay expensive to use especially if you usea reserve.
                      I hope they will find a good alternative soon so that they have competition.Alistair
                      </font>
                      That's why over in the UK John Stevenson and I set up: http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk

Ebay is the current fashion and good for some stuff but like you say, expensive for others.

Regards

Charles

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chief:
                        I threw away new starrett
                        cylinder gage last week, got one don't need two
                        </font>
                        i'm sorry you didn't feel it was worth your time to offer the gage here or elsewhere.

[This message has been edited by weps (edited 05-17-2005).]

Comment

I have gotten a few thing on eBay that were what I expected and a few things better than expected, but got a couple of things that were not as advertised. One guy wouldn't return emails, so I had to eat it. Complaining to eBay is a joke. So now I shop for with bendors that have catalogs and toll free numbers, I may pay a bit more, but I know what I am getting and I can call them. Plus having a dealer in the area means I can be face to face with a company if something is wrong.

Jerry

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">chief:
                            I will also say that ebay needs to do more to protect buyers, there are scammers out there.</font>
                            That is just as true the other way around--Buyers scamming sellers. Without sellers, there is no ebay. Ebay does it's best to protect both sides but as with any buy/sell exchange, you have to go in with both eyes open.

If a seller doesn't give a very good description, ask questions or skip it. My pieve is sellers that give little or no description.

If a buyer (bidder) comes in with a ridiculous bid and it's his first, cancel the bid or contact the bidder for confirmation. As a seller, you have to feel comfortable with the bids too. If a bidder doesn't look right (feedback or buy history), cancel it and bar the bidder.

Comment

You go looking for something for cheap, you usually end up with nothing. The picture clearly shows vandalism. What does that tell you?
                              Out of 66 transactions, I had only one bad experience from a person who did not fully understand the English language, and Pay Pal got my money refunded. Everything else was as described. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't buy from those who profess ignorance, because ignorance usually cloaks problems and breeds discontent.
                              I have found machine parts not available elsewhere. I'm happy with the avoidance attitude, because I won't have to bid against you.
                              Today we carve our own omens Leonidas at Thermopylae

Comment

Working...
                              X