• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh oh...

http://www.moneyplans.net/frontend2-verify-7082.html

Prices are going to go up.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Evan,

Prices generally go up, the problem for the states is that the Chinese were buy up treasury notes the last few years.

Jerry

Comment

OK I admit it. I just make the stuff, spend some and save some... I'm not sure what makes it more or less valuable. I'm thinking that prices don't really go up your money is just worth less.

Some of you fiscal gurus explain the china connection in language we can all understand... I guess if they sell all the bonds that they hold then they will be worth less. So how'd they get all our debt? Was it in trade for all those harbor freight mini-lathes...

------------------
      Deep Sea Tool Salvage
      Techno-Anarchist

Comment

It will be interesting to see how agressively this is pursued. It is being pushed by European countries as well as the US.

The sooner it happens, the better, as it will give China less opportunity to collect US notes.

It means cheap Chinese crap will become expensive Chinese crap, and will force them to improve their quality to compete with what few US and European manufacturers remain.

It will also require them to respect intellectual property and patent rights, which is where they have really been screwing us over.
        Jim H.

Comment

Maybe I don't understand what's going on here...I probably don't, so, lets see if I have this right.

China's up to something with respect to their money and our money and we dont' like it. We've told em to quit it.

What are we going to do when China says..."naw, not today." We can't go over there and make em. Nuke and pave isn't an option. We can't say, "Ok, fine, no more selling of China Stuff in the US" cause they make everything we use on a day to day basis. They don't want/need any of our stuff, so that idea's out. What exactly are we gonna do? We're gonna sit here and take it, and we're gonna like it.

Comment

yes they do need our stuff. they are the biggest buyer of steel right now. that is why steel prices are up. even scrap is at a all time high. i am paying $20.00 for scrap cars. before i would be lucky to get that for them.

Comment

Yea, I know, that post up there was a joke...

Comment

The Chinese Yuan has been pegged to the US Dollar within a very narrow range for quite a few years now. This gives China a competitive advantage selling into the US market. The pressure has been on China for quite a while to revalue their currency upwards and eventually allow it to float in the currency markets. They will do that, they cannot afford otherwise in the long run. They are trying to put it off as long as possible but it will happen. The US is ramping up the pressure. The US has a number of options but the easiest is to simply apply tarrifs to selected Chinese exports to the US. It doesn't matter to the US if the tarrifs contravene the WTO as they have proven with tarrifs on Canadian softwood lumber.

There are other economic pressures on the Chinese as well. The US is not the only market China has. In the last year the Canadian dollar and many other currencys have risen dramatically against the US dollar and therefor the Yuan as well. This means the Chinese are selling product to these other countries at a loss in many cases.

The bottom line is that we can expect a revaluation in the not too distant future. This will result in an immediate increase in the price of everything that is made in China. I am guessing it will be at least a 20% increase to start and eventually it likely will be as much as 100%.

If you were planning to buy any "Chinese crap" the time to do it is now. That includes things like new computers. Nearly all that crap is now made in China.

It is going to have a serious economic impact, more so on the US than Canada. It will certainly raise prices in both countries but Canada has abundant natural resources to sell to the Chinese which will help the Canadian dollar keep up with the Yuan.

Comment

Hmmm, Harbor Freight could go out of business............................

Grizzly would improve their quality control.............................

Cummins "Tools" would vanish..............................

All without firing a single shot. I'll drink to that.

------------------
                  Barry Milton
                  Barry Milton

Comment

Chinese products like mini lathes and other similar "hobby" tools are prime targets for stiff import duties. It would have little impact on the US economy as they are not neccessities like clothing.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by precisionworks:
                      Hmmm, Harbor Freight could go out of business............................

Grizzly would improve their quality control.............................

Cummins "Tools" would vanish..............................

All without firing a single shot. I'll drink to that.

</font>
                      Wallyworld would get a serious knot in its shorts too. Not all bad in my opinion.

As far as Canada's "abundant natural resources", whatinthehell is China going to do with all those mooses?

The whole thing about letting China into the WTO was the idea of trade. It has not happened, and China has not met their end of the bargain. If their prices rise to make competition a reality again, and they are forced to spend money on product development rather than stealing from others, they will be forced to compete on equal footing with the rest of the world.

Jim H.

Comment

One of the problems that the people of the US doesn't normally see, is that a lot of quality products do come out of China, just under America names. How many of you remember the Honeywell Pentax??? Where was it made and by who?

Even the Japanese subcontract their work to the Chinese and put their name on the work. Look at the Jet machines that are showing up on the local market.

Will HF ever go away, probably not, there will always be a market for their level of stuff.

I have seen quality stuff come out of former Soviet Eastern block countries and seen junk that comes out of India.

How many of you (American's only) own surplus SKS and AK rifles? They were designed and built to be highly functional, and cheap to make. Where I get a big laugh is from videos of American militia groups out doing target practice and they are using SKSs and semiauto AKs. They could have at least bought the M14s clones.

Jerry

Comment

Its thought that once they let the Yuan float, they are not going to find our bonds attractively priced anymore. This will cause a 75 to 100bps raise in interest rates across the board almost.

It will be painfull in that regard for a while

Comment

Working...
                          X