make a plasma machine-torch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make a plasma machine-torch?

greets all.. work is progressing on the CNC plasma table.

I'm surprised to see how much machine torches cost!

I have no experience with a machine torch.. but am quite familiar with a manual plasma torch.

anyone know how hard it might be to make a machine torch? or can tell me anything about them?

-tony

Plasma machine torches cost $500.
    Doesnt seem like a fortune to me, but I have only bought two, and the first one still works- it just doesnt work with my current power supply. Life span for them seems pretty indefinite. I have thousands of hours of use on my current one.

Certainly not impossible to make one- they are vertical in format, instead of a right angle like a hand torch. Obviously you want to use the guts from a hand torch that you can get consumables for. Then make your own cylinder to mount them in, with a rack screwed on the side for up and down adjustment.
    Mine have both been made from a heat resistant plastic- some kind of fancy fiberglas, I think. Cast, then machined.
    You should be able to download a schematic free from one of the big suppliers- I think hypertherm and plasma dynamics make the best torches, so I would copy them- just go to their websites, and find the manuals for machine torches. Worst case, email them and have them email you the manual and schematic.

Comment

Ries,
      thanks for the tip. in these neck of the woods, though, any machine torch i could get consumables for (at a reasonable price) is about 900euros (~$1200).

checked the Hypertherm site and all i find is breakdown for marchine torch consumables.

makes me wonder, since i'd be using the same inverter-plasma cutter (1/2" capacity), you think a machine torch would even be worth it?
      -- i could water cool it, but i'm wondering if that would change the duty cycle any, in the box.

-tony

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but maybe this site can help.

http://www.plasmacam.com/

Comment

Guys, I am working on a trolley system for a friend. Using inline roller skate wheels running in track, cable drive. YOU can use really small stepper motors since the friction/mass/weight of the torch is not high at all.

I need two more pieces of aluminum stock to complete it. Then, since I am using a discarded calcomp plotter I will have to figure out how to calibrate it. Pretty neat so far, about $30 invested. I am using the factory stepper drives. Non-regulated Speed should be comparable to a plot.

My cnc bridgeport has been successfully hooked to a cutting torch and a plasma cutter with no problems, cutting size is limited to the table stroke of 18"x8".. Also the room my cnc is in I have books on the shelves that I worry about setting ablaze.

A plasma table can be light enough to set on a barrel head, or set onto a sheet of steel, fastened to the steel by magnets. I have three of the release style pick-up magnets from Harbor freight I have considered using.

End result? streetrod parts I can ebay. It is starting to get hungry around here. (damn attorneys)

David

Comment

Like any tool, how stout you build it depends on what your expectations are.
            Ibewgypsies mini plasma cutter, magnetized on a piece of steel, will work fine for the scale of work he wants to do.
            I often cut 4x8 sheets, or even 5x8 sheets, of 3/16" or 1/4", so my whole setup needs to be a little bit heavier duty- strong enough to hold the steel, and get bumped by the forklift loading the steel. And dumb enough so I can teach a new employee how to run it in an hour, and he can run it for 6 hours with no fiddling or mysterious fixes only I know.

As far as a machine torch goes- I think watercooling is overkill for less than a couple hundred amps, running all day long.
            I run a thermal dynamics Pak 75, and we can cut 1/2" plate for hours with no problems with an air cooled machine torch.

The cheapest approach is to go like the plasmacam, linked above, and just make a clamp for your hand torch. There are two drawbacks to this- first, you have a harder time adjusting the height of the torch off the sheet. This is not a real big deal- its just handy to have a rack and pinon drive when you are using it a lot, and running big stuff in and out often.
            Second, a real machine torch has no switch on it- it is turned on and off by the cutting machine, remotely. You can just put a hose clamp over the switch on a hand torch, so it is always "on" then switch it at the machine- it will work.

I didnt realize you were in europe- 900 euros? man, thats a lot of money. I suppose you could mail order one from a big internet welding supplier over here- doesnt weigh much, you could have it air shipped for not much- but then you would have the consumables problem- and have to order them by mail too. Sometimes I buy CD's from Amazon UK that arent available in the US, and freight is usually under 10 bucks for fed-ex, so I cant imagine it would cost much to ship an envelope full of tips and nozzles.

Comment

Working...
            X