square music wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• square music wire

It's easy to find round music wire, but is that available in square cross section? What would I ask for?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I have a clock with square spring wire so I searched "square clock spring wire" and sure enough there are several hits with square spring wire.

Comment

http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/sitemap.html

Following Steve's suggestion, I came across this interesting spring making site. Lots of info and helpful ideas.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Brownells Gunsmithing supply at one time sold spring steel in round and flats. They came in an 18inch tube of 1 inch in diameter and filled with various sizes. I have 1 kit of each and they've been very useful over the years.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Shouldn't you ask a square musician, daddy-o? (Sorry. Even I'm ashamed of myself for this one...)

Comment

I have a square forming wheel on my rolling mill, not sure if it will do harden steel, I really don't think so. But that is how I make square and triangular shaped wire for decorative purposes.

Jerry

Comment

This reminds me of my recent attempt to learn how to play a guitar(they laughed when he sat down to play).
              It lasted all of one week. Friggen hurts my fingers! and those were ROUND strings! I can only imagine the augmented pain from square cornered strings.

Ron (bought an electronic keyboard instead)

Comment

Darryl

I am curious as to what you want square music wire for, and if you have actually found a supplier yet.
                I use a rolled flat section spring wire for making new tips on musical box combs.

Phil

Comment

Orthodontic Wire!!!

Comment

Square wire is for hitting sharps and flats.

I didn't really say that, did I?
                    Len

Comment

Well, I'm building a square guitar. It just doesn't seem right to use round strings on it. I expect that most of the notes that the square playing it will be making will be sharps and flats. Mostly flats. Maybe some notes never before heard, who knows.

So ok, with that lame bit of humor aside, I'll get a little serious and tell all. I needed to make suspension arms for the front wheels on my tadpole. These are aluminum plate pieces, and they need to pivot on something, so I've turned a groove into each piece and sandwiched a steel ring between the pieces. I epoxied the ring into one side, greased the protruding half of the ring, and assembled the pivot arm over it. The two pieces are kept together by a bolt and custom turned washer, pinned so it can't undo the bolt.

The steel ring is actually the outer race part of a defunct ball bearing. In order to keep the thickness of this assembly down, I had to use a 1 inch diameter bearing which is 1/4 in thick. I would have liked to make the diameter about two inches, but still keep the thinness of the assembly, and this is where the square music wire comes in. I would wind some of this on a mandrel such that the relaxed coil would be the diameter of ring I wanted, then cut sections from the coil for the individual rings. A little flexing of each ring would bring the ends into alignment, and they're ready to be epoxied into a groove.

So far, the testing has shown that this system will work ok for my application. The couplings are somewhat viscous, and this is a benefit as it damps the pivoting mechanism. It's kind of a built-in shock absorber. I can play with viscous fluids if I want to , but so far wheel bearing grease is doing the job.

My second application of this captive ring idea involves high load carrying with low friction, and very slow speed. In this case I would nest a ring into each groove and grind a ball track into each ring face. Grease, load with steel balls, assemble. In this case I would be silver-soldering the ring ends together to eliminate the gap entirely. I would not get a high speed, precision bearing out of this method, but I would get something that does this job well enough.

Where I needed this type bearing in the tadpole I've used those flat pack needle thrust bearing packs from automatic transmissions. I was able to use the size that I could find, but the method I've outlined above would allow me to make it in any custom size that a project might require. I think the square music wire would be up to the task.

Comment

You might find some of the more common sizes already formed for you in the disguise of a one-way clutch. Hope you know what I mean because I no doubt have given it my whichamabob type name. The square wire is wound on a mandrel then removed and slid on a slightly larger shaft so it just fits the shaft diameter. The shaft can be turned in one direction causing a smooth sliding fit between the spring wire and shaft. Now reverse the rotation of the shaft so as to wind the spring coils and it locks up on the shaft. I have one in the shop so I can provide a picture if you like. Afraid my description is a bit flaky but somebody can probably chime in with the correct name for these.

Here we go, they are called Wrap Spring Clutches or Wrap Spring Brakes;
                        http://www.idicb.com/dynacorp/wrap-spring.htm
                        The one I have is pretty exposed with the square spring wire coil about 1-1/4" OD IIRC.

The second page of this .pdf gives a clue of what they look like unfortunately no size is given for the coils.
                        http://www.idicb.com/dynacorp/PDF/Wr...apSp-DCB-2.pdf

[This message has been edited by Steve Stube (edited 05-19-2005).]

Comment

Thanks, Steve. I was just thinking about one-way clutches on my way home from work today. I had totally forgotten about that type. I know what they are, and they have one characteristic that I like, in that they don't ratchet. That's a double whammy, one is that I could use one of those as you suggest, and the other is that I could use that type of clutch on the tadpole, and it would solve the reverse problem I've been thinking about. I could arrange to 'hold back' the loose end of that type of clutch so that it doesn't engage when I need to push this thing backwards. Ideas are great, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X