Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3 Phase Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doc Nickel:
    Binary is 0 and 1, of course, "off" or "on". When the Morse key is depressed and makes the audio tone, that's a 1, when it's not transmitting a tone, that's an 0.

2 bit says there's two states to the binary signal- in the case of Morse, the length of the tone, the "dot" and "dash".

Doc.
    </font>

2 bit prepresent 4 states, 1 bit prepresent 2 states.

Again, What's a 2 bit (4 state) binary transmission with regards to CW?

-Adrian

Comment

• Doc Nickel
      • Mar 2003

Okay then, it's Off, On (short tone), On (long tone), and "Hold on, I gotta go get another pencil".

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• ibewgypsie
        • Dec 2002

Years ago I sold a laptop.. a very old tandy 200? to a ham operator.. It'll sling his call numbers out over the air. It ran a program off a cassette tape.

Now that was cool.. about twenty-five plus years ago.

Doc hit is.. on-short, on-long, off two bit of data information through wires. Probably the forefather of Ascii data transmission theory. (many more binary states)

Years ago, I hooked up some zener diodes with relays and could send a dozen control logic signals out two wires.. I thought I was hot crap. (potitiemeter control)
        Now, watching the effects of my visual basic programs crashing machinery it all pales in comparison. (I destroyed my smelter robot)

When you quit playing, I guess you are grown up.

David

Comment

• John Stevenson
          • Mar 2001

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks:
          Phone! Talk!
          anyone here remember a Strowger switch?
          </font>

Made just down the road from me.
          Most of my equipment came from this company as they downsized and went to electronics.
          They had 7 tool rooms, they made all their own taps and dies, milling cutters, counterbores, coil winders in fact everything.
          All relays were completely made on site, no buying in components.

As this mechanical side gradually closed they scrapped off vast amounts of tools and materials.
          Fortunately I'm very friendly with the local scrap men but tons of good gear went inro the skip.

I built them a little air press to strip the contacts off the 1,000's of relays they brought out.
          Most contacts were platinium or palladium, they would stand there for a whole afternoon and 1/2 fill a coke can with platinium tips.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Evan
            • May 2003

International morse is a bi-quinary code. It has a binary component, the on/off state and it has a quinary component. The quinary component is the five possible states of dot, dash, short space, medium space and long space.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• chief
              • Mar 2002

CW is still a very useful tool, in the first Gulf war they censored everything and wouldn't tell us anything so we listened to HAM CW broadcasts to find out what we were doing, we had a better battlefield picture than HQ did.
              Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

• ibewgypsie
                • Dec 2002

(I'm looking for a dictionary to see if Evan made that word up)

David

Comment

• Evan
                  • May 2003

Bi-quinary

Comment

• ibewgypsie
                    • Dec 2002

You're a real joy.. I was kidding.. I bet you're fun to play cards with.

Comment

• Evan
                      • May 2003

I don't play cards. I wouldn't do that to my friends.

Besides, they won't play with me anyway when I show them how to shuffle the deck eight times and put it back in order.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 05-19-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                      X