No announcement yet.

What is the air powered sanding tool their using?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is the air powered sanding tool their using?

    I mean, "...tool they're using?" I can't believe I did that AGAIN!

    On some of the motorcycle and car shows on Discovery channel and TLC they're using these air powered sanders for fine sanding metal, especially motorcycle gas tanks. The sanding disc looks like it's around 2" to 3" in diameter.

    Are those angled die grinders or something made specifically for sanding?


    [This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 05-21-2005).]

  • #2
    I've seen air powered sanders that don't actually go in a circle. They sorta...orbit, maybe they're orbital sanders. I've heard the name but I don't actually know what the tool is.

    I don't actually know how the mechanism on these works but, but the motion they create is moving the spindle on which the disk spins in a circle while the disk itself spins, I guess so that you don't get circles sanded into whatever it is that you're working on.

    I don't know if that's what these guys are using, but I have seen these in auto shops, so it might well be.


    [This message has been edited by jburstein (edited 05-21-2005).]


    • #3

      I may be wrong but as far as I can tell, they're not dual action sanders.

      I have a 6" DA sander that some refer to as an orbital sander. I think that's what you're describing.


      • #4
        It sounds like a dual action sander, or DA for short. Wood workers use the same type of gizmo, but it is electric and they call it a random orbit sander. They work well and leave no swirl marks.


        • #5
          looks like an angle grinder with a small sanding disc? could very well be the 3m roloc line or similar. the link is the green line but the have all kinds of others which are similar and for all phases of metal and paint prep and finishing.

          ...and will fit a die grinder.

          [This message has been edited by weps (edited 05-21-2005).]


          • #6
            No, these aren't DA's he's talking about.

            I've been wondering about those myself.

            They look all the world like a right angle die grinder with a small sanding disc.
            Hell if I can find 'em and I wouldn't be comfortable with a sanding disc at die grinder speeds.


            • #7
              i've never noticed on any of the shows you mentioned, but a friend i worked with had an air-powered drill. it was about the size you describe and he used sanding discs like weps posted.

              andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining