7/32 12 x 40 TPI tap and Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/32 12 x 40 TPI tap and Die

I am looking for a tap that is I believe 7/32 in diameter and has 40 threads per inch. I have hunted around the net with out any luck.
    If anyone is familiar with a Mossberg Model 144LSB .22cal rifle, it was used as a Sniper Trainer rifle. The rear sight is a S331 Peep sight. The eye piece threads into the sight body and the threads are a little sloppy. The gun itself was made in the early 50s and the sight has seen better days. I planned to clean the threads up and clean up the eyepiece with a die. I am not a machinist and do not know the proper terms for what I am looking for. I was told I need a 12x40TPI tap, I believe it’s a #12 tap. I would also like to get a die for the threads on the eyepiece. Any help you can send my way would be greatly appreciated
    Sincerely
    Tackleberry

------------------
    Aim Small, Miss Small
    Aim Small, Miss Small

MSC lists a 7/32-40 tap:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=1735686
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Comment

Brownell's www.brownells.com may have it, or be able to get it (for a price....)

----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Thank you I will try MSC I have used them before.
        Tackleberry

------------------
        Aim Small, Miss Small
        Aim Small, Miss Small

Comment

Ok,
          I got a place for the tap how about a die and some tubing with that thread?

------------------
          Aim Small, Miss Small
          Aim Small, Miss Small

Comment

I needed a 1 1/4" 46 TPI tap and die and the first thing I found is they are very hard to find. The second thing is when I did find them they were $60 each. That kind of money,$120, is hard to justify for something I'll use a couple of times. So I made my own! Turns out is as easy as making a screw or a nut. Just a few extra steps. I used 1018 and case hardened using Kasenit powder. Turns out I need to use the tap and die more than a couple of times and they still work very well. Just think-- why do you have a machine shop? Where do you think taps and dies come from, some sort of magic tree? No! True some CNC machine may be making them but you only need one of each. Give it a try.

Dick

Comment

Dick,
              I don't have a shop or the expertise of a machinist. I personally envy all of you, and your abilities to do the things you do out of steel and aluminum. I am a Rifleman, nothing more, I make my own rounds and have some limited gunsmithing abilities, barrel changes and trigger jobs, but that’s it. Thanks for the feedback, and if you know of a place where I can get a tap and die and 6" of threaded tubing that would be great. Thanks all again
              Tack

------------------
              Aim Small, Miss Small
              Aim Small, Miss Small

Comment

I have bought several odd taps and dies from these folks at real resonable prices-

http://www.grandtool.com/
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                X