• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stepside I don't suppose you have an emailable photo do you Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Dear Alistaire,
      I had a similar problem with my 15" Delta Drill Press from mid 60's. Recently I had to do a lot of raising/lowering of the table, and got heartily sick of it. The floor standing Delta is mounted on a heavy 2 1/2" tube, so I machined a three inch OD pulley out of 1" aluminum, machined another piece to fit inside the tube, then mounted the pulley to it with a simple yoke and a half inch bolt as a spindle. I attatched a length of 1/8" aircraft cable to the back of the table with a large U-bolt, ran it over the pulley and attached about sixty pounds, mostly a big 1 1/2" chunk steel with lead sheet wrapped around it. The wire is rated at 1000 pounds plus, and the total weight of the table and weight is about 150 lbs or so. You will probably need help to pull the weight to the right height before you attach the cable to the table, unless you can hold sixty pounds with one hand and fasten a nut and bolt with the other. I had to, but i can't recommend it, unless you really want to get into weight training!The final result was very simple, and you don't see the weight or the pulley since they are inside the tube and belt cover. Delta originally sold this sort of fitting as an after market deal, so the required holes for the cable were already in the casting. Good luck! Richard

Comment

Dear Alistaire,
        I had a similar problem with my 15" Delta Drill Press from mid 60's. Recently I had to do a lot of raising/lowering of the table, and got heartily sick of it. The floor standing Delta is mounted on a heavy 2 1/2" tube, so I machined a three inch OD pulley out of 1" aluminum, machined another piece to fit inside the tube, then mounted the pulley to it with a simple yoke and a half inch bolt as a spindle. I attatched a length of 1/8" aircraft cable to the back of the table with a large U-bolt, ran it over the pulley and attached about sixty pounds, mostly a big 1 1/2" chunk steel with lead sheet wrapped around it. The wire is rated at 1000 pounds plus, and the total weight of the table and weight is about 150 lbs or so. You will probably need help to pull the weight to the right height before you attach the cable to the table, unless you can hold sixty pounds with one hand and fasten a nut and bolt with the other. I had to, but i can't recommend it, unless you really want to get into weight training!The final result was very simple, and you don't see the weight or the pulley since they are inside the tube and belt cover. Delta originally sold this sort of fitting as an after market deal, so the required holes for the cable were already in the casting. Good luck! Richard

Comment

R P M does the weight pull down on the back of the whole drill press making it unstable don't forget I have this on a wheeled trolley as I want to move it if needed otherwise sounds to be a good idea kindest regards Alistair

Comment

The way I read RPM's explanation, it sounds like the weight is inside the post, so it should have no effect on the balance of your machine, except adding weight. Sounds like a tidy solution.

Comment

As I understand RPM's post, the weight is inside the column , so should not affect the balance of your machine, only make it heavier. Sounds like a neat solution.

Comment

Sprocket as I understand it if you put a length of weighted material inside the post of the drill it would come up quite a height and therefore reduce the dropping height of the table for drilling deep objects although I accept it is otherwise a clever principle or Am I talking nonsense as usual. Strangely enough I have never used the full facility of the large dropping capacity this drill has to offer yetalthough I was talked into buying it by a fellow woodturner friend of mine. I cannot understand what manufacturers were thinking about when they madeor designed these as to how soeone could lift such a weight, with the drill vice to be added to that. Surely in this day and age this would be regarded as a safety issue.Alistair and thanks to all so far as this is a real problem for me

Comment

Alistair,
                  The group got it right, the weight goes up and down inside the tube, so doesn't affect the balance at all. The original Delta add-on had a pulley at the top, but the cable was attached to a heavy spring that was held in place by a bolt through the tube. I figured the weight was a lot less invasive. I don't know if your DP has a hole in the casting for the cable, but Delta included one in theirs, I guess a 1/2" hole in cast iron wouldn't be too tricky!The pulley centre is such that the cable runs down the centre of the tube, and the other side is directly above the back of the table. Let me know if i can be of any more help.
                  Richard.

Comment

RPM
                    It sure is a great idea the best I've come across yet. As long as I say it doesn't disturb the ability for the table to be dropped all the way down as I might need to drill a deep hole someday.
                    Thanks for this tip I think this is the method I will eventually use once my router table is finished (half way through) Alistair

Comment

For my Walker Turner floor mounted drill press I attached a bicycle chain to the head and mounted a small sprocket on the table driven by a rod off to the side of the table. Wooks good,but my local junk yard sold me for a couple of bucks the reversable motor powered hospital bed screws. Only a few feet move but cheap and easily attached.
                      Walt
                      toolman

Comment

Working...
                      X