bending tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bending tube

I made a post a while back about a cheap tube bender I had made. I am bending 1" square, 11 gauge.

How do I approximate number of tons to bend it around a 2" radius? I've been using a 20 ton bottle jack, but know I dont need nearly that much...but have no clue how to approximate the actual amount used.

-Jacob

Pretty sure it'll crush and kink around a 2" radius.

A 4" is about the minimum.

You should be able to bend it with a four foot handle. COnvert a Hf strap bender like I did mine.

David

Comment

You could use something like a Port-a-Power with a pressure gauge. I'm not sure if they read in psi or directly in tons. If psi then multiply the piston area (of the ram, not the pump) by the psi and divide by 2000 to convert to tons.

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 06-09-2005).]
      THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

I get a dimple on the inside of the bend, but it's a smooth bend on both sides.

I'm just trying to figure out how many tons it's gonna take. I bend it by hydraulic jack right now, and want something a bit faster. Trying to "optimize" all of my processes.

It might actually be 2.25" radius...can't remember what size tube i used to make the die up.

-Jacob

Comment

Take your jack apart and tap it for a guage port(8,000psi minimum guage)also measure the bore size of the jack.Once you have that you got it whipped.

Piston area x system pressure = tonnage,right?
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
          X