Well, for better or worse..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, for better or worse..

This is my new lathe http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/main/459.cfm?

What the hell, gotta start somewhere!

It's up to me now, innit.
    Len

Great, make some chips.

Comment

More power to ya! Let us know how this machine works out.
      Smitty.... Ride Hard, Die Fast

Comment

I got one of those last fall, its an ok machine for a starter. You will need to do a lot of deburring and tuning up, the tailstock on mine was about a sixteenth high, the key on the top part of the TS was too wide to fit into the slot in the lower part, worked it down with files and got it lined up, that's easy to check though. What you should check first thing is the hold-down pieces at the front and rear of the carriage, on mine they were just roughly sawn off strips of cast iron with no fitting or finishing at all, they were only touching at two or three high spots on each one, I found them because the lathe developed a severe chatter very soon after I started trying to use it. A lkot of filing and scraping (I'm not good at either) got them to a fairly good fit,and fixed that chatter problem.
        Maybe yours was made on whatever is a good day in China, and had better quality control, anyway have fun making chips and if it needs a little fixing up here and there try to enjoy that too. I like making things better about as much as making something new.

------------------
        Jim
        Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim I appreciate the heads-up.

Working on new things to get them right is the story of my life anyway...don't get me started!
          Len

Comment

Have fun that's a lot better than most peoples first lathe so good luck and get working Alistair sorry playworking
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

you will love having a lathe at home , you may as well start rounding up all the metal and tooling you can find,you will need it.

A month ago I bought a smithy 1220, it is a much better machine then I thought it was, its downright fun to run.

Comment

Whoa, that's a serious chuck there!

How does it go? "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!"

bad bad bad

Also, on second thought Jharp, if anything shows up THAT far out of whack Grizzly's getting it back!

[This message has been edited by QSIMDO (edited 06-09-2005).]
                Len

Comment

The only problem I see is the location of the switches. I have a thing about reaching over the chuck. good looking machine, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
                  Herm Williams

Comment

the smithy will swing 12" and the 4 jaw is an 8" it runs good.

when I try to run the 8" chuck @ 1,600 rpm it blows the breaker so I olny run it at about 1,000 rpm. lol

Comment

tattoomike68, I could be wrong, but, that 1220 doesn't look like it's bolted down. The first time you use that 4-jaw with an unbalanced piece, well, you better have a catcher's mitt...a big one! Mine's bolted down and has 2x4's bracing everything against the wall for just such a turning. I had to turn just such a piece last week, a 4x3x2 chunk of 7075 and talk about the machine shaking! Quaking was more like it. Needless to say, that was terminated and the rotary table was used to do what needed to be done until I got it down to a size where the Richter scale wasn't affected.

Comment

you are right I need to bolt it down before I use it too hard, Im not sure where I want it yet, Im just starting to get the shop in order.

Comment

CAreful about that getting the shop in order stuff. I lost the last six weekends to that demon. But now the shop is much more workable, so I guess it was worth it.

------------------
                          Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.
                          Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Comment

Congrats qsimdo. Got mine last month. Already made a ball turner

Comment

Anyone with a bench top machine that isn't securely fastened to at least several hundred pounds of rigid goodness is working under a severe self imposed handicap. As I did with my SB9 the best is to bolt it to a big heavy chunk of channel iron. Then bolt that to a bench you can't lift by yourself.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X