Pipe Requirements - bit'o humor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Requirements - bit'o humor

Making parts for somebody. Been after the person for three weeks to come up with the specs for one of the parts in the assembly so I can finish design and programming.

Finally got the specs for the missing part - a 1" diameter pipe with 1/2" thick walls.

CCBW, MAH

What's the tolerance on the OD and wall thickness?

RPease

Comment

Generally speaking

The inside diameter of the pipe should not exceed the outside diameter, otherwise the hole will be on the outside !

Comment

I've got 10 foot length of that pipe if you need it. You can have it for scrap price and shipping. So there are no surprises, the hole is plugged up and you'll have to clean it out!
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

i don't get it - i know pipe and tube sizes are historically based, but in general reference don't peeps usually mean the id when they talk pipe and od when they talk tube?

Comment

No prob spope, I've emailed you a mandrel for that bore
            Lin

Comment

I think Mcgyver's right on that one - I've always heard that tube sizes refer to the OD and pipe sizes generally refer to something close to the stated ID - so this would have about a 1" hole and be about 2" OD.

Ian
              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

to clarify, he was talking 1"OD. Come to find out, he was looking for 1/4 inch wall, but the "two little marks" on my 1/8 scales cornfused him - no, he is NOT a student of mine.....

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 06-14-2005).]
                CCBW, MAH

Comment

see its a precise unforgiving crowd, them metal working types....gotta have yer specs, clearances, tolerances and terminology just so to make a good joke around here

Comment

I think most engineers would benifit from reading the complete specification for pipes here.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/phil.procter/pipe.jpg

Phil

Comment

LMAO
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                      X