OT- folder synchronization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- folder synchronization

I have a linux file server thats not running a raid setup, so I cant trust it as my sole source for all my important documents, so I want to synchronize my Documents folder with my samba file share that is mapped to a network drive. Is there any freeware programs or open source programs that synchronize 2 seperate folders?

If you have Krusader it does folder sync.

http://krusader.sourceforge.net/
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan, my fedora box has no gui installed, its just the file server, too bad they dont have a krusader version for Windows. I need to use this program on the wintel machine.

Comment

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,23166,00.asp

Comment

Is the pc your backing up a Windows pc?
          This is what I use to back up to a 80 gb removable drive.
          xcopy /m /d /y /s "path 1" "path 2"

i.e.
          xcopy /m /d /y /s "C:\Documents and Settings\BillH\My Documents\*.*" "D:\Backup\My Documents\"
          John

Comment

Evan, thank you, thats exactly what I needed, works great!
            JPR, a synchronization matches contents of 2 directories but also overwrites files with the newer version so everything is up to date. Good idea though, forgot about xcopy, does Xcopy do that as well?

Comment

You're welcome Bill. Xcopy has problems with long file names. There are instances when the dos file name of two different long file names will be the same. You can use xxcopy which is free but it isn't a synchronizer.

Comment

I have had good luck so far with the xcopy, it is free and quick (due no fancy GUI).
                My batch file looks at five different main directories, 6.9 gb of data, 14,000 files, and nearly 1000 sub folders in a minute or so.

These are the switches for the xcopy
                /a - looks for the archive attribute, not necessary
                /d - only copies files when the date is newer
                /y - suppress prompts
                /s - includes sub folders and directories
                John

Comment

JPR,

I wouldn't trust your backups. You won't know you have a problem until it is too late.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
                  There are four basic reasons why XCOPY fails.

1). XCOPY does not preserve file or directory attributes.
                  2). XCOPY does not preserve time and date stamps on directories.
                  3). XCOPY does not warn you of files unable to be copied.
                  4). XCOPY does not keep the SFN (Short File Names) aliases from being mangled.

Number 4 from above is the most serious and most frustrating problem to see the effects of until it's usually too late. Remember that the =Registry= uses SFN's not LFN's (Long File Names). Here are examples (Proof) you can try to see this problem in action. This will require some knowledge of DOS.
                  </font>
                  http://www.itechs-systems.com/articles/a7.htm

Comment

Working...
                  X