Air tank leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air tank leaking

I bought a portable air tank last year so i would not have to lug my compressor up from the basement when I needed to put ari in a tire. It has a slow leak around the pipe fitting where the hose connects to the tank. It looks like they used some type of rock hard pipe joint compound when It was assembled. Any sugestions on how to fix the leak?

Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

I'm guessing the pipe dope will soften up with a propane torch.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
      I'm guessing the pipe dope will soften up with a propane torch.</font>

I had to say it, but...

Make sure the valve is open (for a while) before you start heating anything up. Just in case.

-M
      The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

I'd suggest that you unscrew the fitting from the tank, clean all of the old sealant off the threads and refit it with 2 wraps of PTFE tape.

For the uninitiated, PTFE stands for 'plastic tape for engineers'...

Ian
        All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

C'mon, Ian, what if someone gets the Million Dollar Question???

Poly Tetra Fluoro Ethylene

------------------
          Barry Milton
          Barry Milton

Comment

Heat it,tape it and add a valve!!
            I like to braze leakers...
            If I got it right first time,everytime....I\'d have a real job!

Comment

"PTFE tape"

I bought 3 rolls of this stuff - won't stick to anything . I tried to use it to wrap a package for shipment, the crap just fell off, no adhesive, I think it's defective. It's gotta be made in China, it just has to be.

More coffee - NOW!

Axel

Comment

I like to braze packages too....!
                Two more rotten products;
                Don't buy none of that Kentucky (KY) Jelly...tastes like crap...
                Also,that Naval Jelly BURNS!!! Couldn't tuck in m'shirt for a week....
                If I got it right first time,everytime....I\'d have a real job!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bobodu:
                  </font>
                  But even just soldering the ribbons is hell. I need one of those micro torches.

bobodu,

Got any Cajun blood in you. I haven't laughed so hard since my grandfather's off color jokes. Don't know what was funnier, his jokes or my grandmother's panic at his telling them to such a youngster.

Paul A.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bobodu:
                    </font>
                    That's all okay,but be sure the girlfriend doesn't use the contraceptive jelly on her toast

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                    X