Clear All

• Bruce Griffing
    replied
    If you want to make your own from castings and plans look here:

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/MLA-7.html

Leave a comment:

• Docgera
    replied
    Thanks to all, after reading your opinions I think I know now what is it for
    Docgera

Leave a comment:

• precisionworks
    replied
    Chad pretty much described it, except you use a vertical stop rod that's mounted to the quill or table. Preset the head for the amount you want to bore (or face, it's really useful for facing and counterboring).

There is a gear drive that moves the cutter out a fixed amount per revolution. When the preset is hit, the feed automatically disengages.

------------------
    Barry Milton

Leave a comment:

• webbch
    replied
    I've never used one, but I know someone who has one and the way they explained it to me was that they're used to bore grooves in addion to holes.

Apparently, there is a knurled portion that you actually hold on to with your hand while the tool is spinning in the mill and that feeds the cutter outward into the groove you're trying to cut. I presume it's a pretty low speed operation, since you only have a limited amount of threads for the outward feed. Sounded to me like it works pretty slick and would be much easier than spinning it by hand, adjusting, spin by hand, adjust, etc. Buuuuuttt, I've never used one.

At $289.95 it's the cheapest one I've seen, though I don't look for them often. I believe Criterion sells one, but it was up in the $1000 range as I recall (from J&L)

Chad

Leave a comment:

• bikenut
    replied
    They are mainly used for cutting grooves, and they can save ya a lot of time. Think of having a part lashed down on a milling machine. It may be too big or a real bitch to machine in a lathe. In one setup you can bore a hole, counter-bore or face the bottom, cut a groove for an "O" ring, or a snap-ring.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    we have a boring facing head at work, but the book is 100% chinese.

the boss just played with it till he figured it out. (he had everyone believing he could read chinese)

Leave a comment:

• Docgera
    started a topic Automatic boring head

Automatic boring head

I saw at Enco a 2 feed automatic boring head, (item DG222-1100), what is this for? it says it’s shipped without instructions, does anybody knows how to use it?,
    Thanks in advance

Docgera
Working...
X