cutoff discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutoff discs

Any reason I should be having trouble finding 3 inch cbn cutoff discs?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

http://www.tools-plus.com/abrasives-...ff-wheels.html
    Len

Comment

Must be rare as hens teeth, this outfit in Arizona might have em but you have to call them.

http://www.bgsusa.com/id530.htm

Comment

Any reason you can't use a worn 4"?

Comment

What are you cutting that you need CBN?

Comment

Sorry, didn't see the "cbn".
            Len

Comment

Ken, I don't NEED cbn, but I've been impressed with the performance of my 8 inch (I think) cutoff disc and wanted to use the same abrasive on the toolpost grinder. It has a 3 inch capacity, so I'm limited to those little discs.

I recently parted off a section of a gear from a planetary gearset for use in an experimental project. I wore out a new disc just before the cut was complete, and luckily I had a thinner disc to complete the cut. I would feel better using a longer-lasting disc instead of having to start a new disc in an old cut. BTDT, pain in the butt.

I've also had occasion to part off ceramic tubes, glass tubes, and much stainless tubing, which seems to go better with the cbn.

Oh, yeah, the worn 4 inch. I have some worn 3 inch discs now if anybody wants them. If you're in my neighborhood, I'll just frisbee 'em over to ya.

By the way, just out of interest, I just measured a new and an old disc- the new one is 3.03 diameter, and the old one is 2.91 inch, that means the abrasive occupied only .06 of the edge of the disc. Hmm.

[This message has been edited by darryl (edited 06-16-2005).]
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

CBN cutting wheels would not the popular in China for the items are always needing of Diamond wheels to be cutted.
                If you use CBN cutting wheels, there are wheels which made by incrustation, or made by agglomeration. Different wheels suit to different cutting requirements.
                If you use CBN wheels, the lasting time
                would increase, while the efficiency for grinding will be much lower!

COULD YOU BEAR IT?

------------------
                Vain,Vain,I really feel my decay;
                Seeing the world left behind;
                Hiding in the crowd,
                Without any item.
                Vain,Vain,I really feel my decay;
                Seeing the world left behind;
                Hiding in the crowd,
                Without any item.

Comment

Hmm. I don't have any problem at all with the larger cutoff disc. It keeps lasting, and goes through the material a little faster than the other disc I had been using.

I found a number for a Sait disc, it's a 3 inch, .035 thick, and made with cubitron. Made for stainless and hard materials. That's probably what I should use. Part # 23150, and 23140 for the 1/16 thick disc. I have no idea what cubitron is, it could well be cbn and is just 3M's name for it. I don't care, if it lasts better than the standard discs, and works as well or better, then that's it.

I did find a reference to A46N for grinding aluminum, anyone know about that?

Comment

See here for Cubitron

http://www.manufacturingcenter.com/t...98/398gel.html
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                    X