Another howzit done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another howzit done

How are box joint pliars assembled, the ones which have one half passing thru the other?

------------------
    Jim
    Jim

Simple, the half with the opening in it is heated red hot, spread, the piece is inserted and the joint is closed. After that the pivot pin is inserted and the tool finished.

Comment

More probably, the handle portion of the piece is upset/flattened after assembling.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

yeah, but how do they get such smooth action without slop on seems like a peened over pin??

Comment

Elfen magic.

They are made in the woods by elves.

Actually they have this really thin saw.....

Paul A.
          Paul A.

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I don't know how the factory finishes the internal surfaces but this is how I do it.
            After peening the pivot pin I reheat the joint red and open and close the pliers until the action is smooth. Then power wire brush the piece buff it up a bit and proceed to give it some kind of finish like bluing, oil/wax, etc.

Comment

Thanks to those who replied, it was just a matter of curiosity for me. I have some hemostats and one pair of pliars that look like they could have been made by Ted Coffey's method, and one pair of pliars that don't look like they could have been made that way, the fit is too close and the metal looks like it would have stretched before being opened enough to admit the other jaw, I think maybe Doc Nickel has the idea on that one.

------------------
              Jim
              Jim

Comment

Working...
              X