Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Australia - Need a gear cut - Can you help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Australia - Need a gear cut - Can you help?

Hi everyone.I'm new here and have been reading a lot on this forum.I am refurbishing an Advance (Myford ML2-4 style) lathe and need to replace a small gear in the apron for the saddle feed.Is anyone here from Australia and preferebly Brisbane,Qld. that can do this sort of work.I know it's a long shot but I might get lucky and would pay for the work done.

Thanks
    Nev
    Nev.

G'day Nev. I'm in Rockingham WA and there are at least 3 shops within 1/2 hr of me that can do that sorta work. Suggest you check your yellow pages mate.
    Rgds, Lin

Comment

Hi Nifty Nev from the Pom dept!

From time to time, old ML 2 and 4's come up and so queries.

Somehow, I would guess that the gear is a 20DP. If it is, it is probably the Myford Standard one and will replace cheaply.
      Frankly, it is so long since I had a go at one that I have forgotten. It made Northumbrian Bagpipes!

Having said all that, I do recall that the late Kenneth C Hart AKA "Martin Cleeve" had one and did up the apron. In addition, he added bits and bobs to both the ML2 and the newer ML7. He wrote the Screwcutting in the Lathe book.

Do you have a Model Engineers Club or a Public Library with copies of Model Engineer around the 1955 time?

In another posting, I asked readers about trying to put the Cleeve articles into a folder.

I have the articles about scraping the bed etc. I have promised "Robin Hood" more details but so far, these have NOT emerged.
      You will have my E-Mail address

Norman

[This message has been edited by NORMAN ATKINSON (edited 06-20-2005).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NiftyNev:
        Hi everyone.I'm new here and have been reading a lot on this forum.I am refurbishing an Advance (Myford ML2-4 style) lathe and need to replace a small gear in the apron for the saddle feed.Is anyone here from Australia and preferebly Brisbane,Qld. that can do this sort of work.I know it's a long shot but I might get lucky and would pay for the work done.

Thanks
        Nev
        </font>
        Have you tried to buy it from

http://www.minitech.com.au/

they are the local Myford dealers

Comment

Good day to you Sports!

Unless it is a 20 DP gear, Myfords seem unwilling to support their older lathes.

It was with this situation firmly in my mind that I framed my previous reply.

It may be that someone is breaking a ML2 or 4 for scrap- but this is a totally different ball game.

Norman

Comment

I quick search in the yellow pages yielded 10 results...
            ww w.yellowpages.com.au/search/postCategorySearch.do?headingCode=29300&bookId=21& serviceArea=true&businessType=gear+sآ®ion=australi a&pageNumber=1&rankWithTolls=true&lo cationClue=Brisbane&stateId=4

I think one of those places should be able to get that gear done for you..

See Ya

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 06-20-2005).]
            Precision takes time.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.For those who have never seen an Advance lathe there are some pics and info here.

http://www.titaniumstudios.com/tooljunkie/advance.html

The Advance lathe I have has a single piece casting including headstock with tapered roller bearings and is probably a later model than these.The one owned by Lindsay Brown is almost the same as mine apart from headstock.

Lin

Many engineering places over here are either not interested in making one small gear or want all your limbs for doing it.

Norman

I enquired at Mini Tech about a replacement gear but the Myford apron gears are not the same size.I think all the change gears can be used but require modification because the Advance gears do not have a keyway.I think the Myford gears have the same pitch.The lathe was missing the change gears when I got it and I'm considering getting set of the Myford but will possibly order from http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/ beccause it will be around half the price of buying in Australia even with the hefty postage costs.

Radish1us

See above.

Ringer

Thanks for the info.I do know where many of these places are but as I said above most charge a fortune for small jobs like this.One place at Archerfield once charged $200 for a small gear for an old capstan lathe that was at a place I worked.

Nev
              Nev.

Comment

Somehow, it may be worth a " Keep it in the Family" situation. We have our own not so tame John S.

It is not the normal way to go but when the Devil drives, one uses the Ways and Means Act.

John, understandably, keeps his business side well away from the Forum.Suffice to say that, I know he had a Myford once.
                Say no more, nudge, nudge!Wink, Wink!

Norman

Comment

Nev,
                  Can you post a picture of the gear?

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Hi John

Here is the links to a pic.

http://groups.msn.com/toyotasurf/nif...o&PhotoID=6630

I will be making a new shaft so I can include a bearing and pressing on the new gear if and when I can get one made.This gear was not cut properly when made and you can see where it has been cut too deep on the parts where the marks are on the shaft.This has made the gear an odd shape.The best I can work out for the finished size for a replacement would be - OD 23/32" ID 1/4" and width 3/8".

Nev

Nev.

Comment

Yup,
                      12 teeth 20 DP 14-1/2 degree pressure angle.
                      The marks on the shaft are caused because the gear and shaft are made in one and the root diameter of the gear is less than the OD of the shaft.
                      Often happens, don't worry about it.
                      What seems to be the problem with that gear? Photos aren't that clear to see any damage.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John

I could still use this gear if necessary and just machine the shaft to suit the bearing mod I am thinking of.If you look at the pic and compare the teeth where the marks are to the opposite side you will see the teeth have a sharp edge there and are a lot flatter on the opposite side.Hope that makes sense.

Nev

ps: I have emailed the full size pics.

[This message has been edited by NiftyNev (edited 06-21-2005).]

Nev.

Comment

Nev

I think we corresponded some years ago about Advance lathes. Mine is the early one on the tooljunkie site.

Futher intelligence from a source in Melbourne indicates that Advance lathes are still being made on a very small scale. The person making them is Ben in Vermont South (03) 9795 0897. He may be able to help you with gears.

Tony

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NiftyNev:
                          John

I could still use this gear if necessary and just machine the shaft to suit the bearing mod I am thinking of.If you look at the pic and compare the teeth where the marks are to the opposite side you will see the teeth have a sharp edge there and are a lot flatter on the opposite side.Hope that makes sense.

Nev

ps: I have emailed the full size pics.

</font>

Comment

Thanks Tony

Yes I'm sure we exchanged an email or two at some time.Thanks for the info.It will be great if they are still being made.I will give the number a try soon.

Nev
                            Nev.

Comment

Finally found a source for the gear. I purchased a piece of gear stock from - http://www.smallparts.com.au/products_index.html - today here in Australia. Heard about them a while ago and only just got around to paying them a visit. They have a lot of cool stuff.

Nev
                              Nev.

Comment

Working...
                              X