Felt cutting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felt cutting question

I needed some felt to make way wipers for my mill and to replace the ones on my lathe. One of my wife's suppliers (machine tool maker) was kind enough to send her some pieces for free. This is high density wiper felt intended for use as machine way wipers. The only problem is that the stuff is much thicker than what I want. I've been trying to think of a way to split it down to thinner pieces. Currently it is about 1/2" thick. 1/8 or 3/16" would be ideal. It won't split by tearing, this stuff is tough. If anyone can come up with a workable idea I'll send you some. I have much more than I can use.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

I have cut quite a bit of felt for wipers etc.

I cut it with a razor blade, not pulling/moving along the cut, but by pushing straight down. With care, the same technique can be used to split it down thinner. If it buckles, hold it between two stiff pieces of plastic etc.

You may need about a 0.187 thickness or so for wipers. of course, if you have existing holders, fit to them.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

I had thought of that but it seems that it will be difficult at best to maintain an even thickness. I would like if possible to split the entire sheet in one go. I was thinking of trying an electric carving knife if I can think of a jig of some sort to hold the spacing. I'm going to try the carving knife tonight to see how it cuts.

Comment

Evan,

Felt is what Welsh hats are made of!
        Couldn't resist it; sorry.

So it isn't woven, it is felted.
        In other words, wool is pressed and
        the fibres shrunk
        together like sweaty socks- under
        steam heat- and moulded- as in Welsh
        hats.

So, you can gently peel it.
        Ring a bell?

Norman

Comment

Evan,

Do you have a local saddle maker or someone who does leather work? They will often use "skiving" knives or tools to thin leather, and will also have "splitters" to "split" hides to a uniform thickness. These could probably be used for what you need. A shoe repair shop might also have something. I also think that Tandy leather Co. sells tools like this, or you could try a google for this type of thing.
          Lynn S.

Comment

Evan: i have plenty if 1/8' felt in stock at my shop. Let me know how much you need and i will send no charge. cecil

Comment

Lynn,

What a good idea. I would have never thought of it. I would have sliced off piece the correct thickness from the ends. Then i would have glued them together used them just that way.

Even let us know what you finally do

Rob

Comment

Lynn,

Excellent idea. This being home of the second largest rodeo in North America there just happens to be a tack and saddle shop a couple of hundred feet from my shop. I'll have to go see him.

[later]

I just talked to him. He is positive it won't work. Oh well, nice idea while it lasted.

Cecil, thanks for the offer. We'll see.

Comment

Evan,
                  I've reduced the thickness of felt by wetting it and squeezing it between two blocks of wood in a drill press vise until dry. You could wet it with way or other oil. Also makes it denser. Den

Comment

This stuff is really dense already. I don't think it can be made much denser.

Comment

Having recently cut some felt for my loco oilers,i'm with JT.I used a razor blade,the felt clamped between two pieces of sheet alum.
                      once i made one cut across,unclamped ,and slid the felt up a bit,cut again,etc.Btw,the felt i used was actually out of an old printer,washed out,good as new!I don't think you'll get a "smooth"cut,whatever you use.Just the nature of the material.good luck.

------------------
                      Hans
                      Hans

Comment

Evan,

I know your question concerned cutting the felt to 1/8â€‌ for use as wipers. Since you know the particulars that need to be met, what I have to say is probably moot. As for me, I cut my wipers from آ¼â€‌ material so I can tighten the screw on the wiper’s “back plateâ€‌ a bit to spread them as they wear. I know it seem that it can’t be compressed but it does (at least the material I have). This way I can keep the felt with just the right contact for about a year before it needs to be replaced.

Comment

sandwhich it between to thick boards and c-clamp it. Then cut it on a good table saw. A nice steady easy feed will cut it very nicely. Don't suggest you cut it clear thru as you want some of it left on to control the the waste. If it gets away from you it will mess things up. Once you have it to desired thickness sharp wood chisels will give you a nice finish if done on hardwood table. Brownells sells felt in 3 or 4 grades of hardness. I used those felt pads glued to wooden sticks as polishing buffs using Happich SemiChrome Polish. Makes an awesum finish in no time. It works great over a 400 finish too.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I have a felt pad at work that's 2" thick that I have been whittling on for years.

The way I deal with it is I have an old dull bandsaw blade that I ground all the teeth off of,mounted on the saw and used a grinder with a sanding disc to grind a knife edge on the blade.It cuts slicker than snot and no tears or fuzz.I just wack off a chunk big enough for the parts I need and then pass it through the knife band with the fence set to the thickness I want.

They also make knife edged blades for doing just that,but I was too cheap to spend $20.00 on a blade.You might try a butcher for an old blade,they used scalloped edge ones that should do just as good a job.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Ok, I have an industrial meat slicer that has a blade as sharp as a razor. It will slice off as thin or thick of pieces you need. I also need some felt wipers for my southbend lathe and vert mill. Lemme know. JRouche

Oh yeah, the slicer is spotless and practically brand new. One of those stages in life that I was into beef jerky, but that lasted a minute

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 06-22-2005).]
                              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X