Flattening SS wire ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flattening SS wire ??

I checked the price of .25 square 304, but at $17 per 8 foot section it will be too expensive for 16 to 20 pieces.

The price of .187 round 304 is less than $5 per 8 foot section. How hard would it be run the round between two steel rollers and flatten it out to a .25 width? How much of a flat will be created?
    John

$2.12 a foot is too much for the right metal?

I dont see how you can build a rolling mill or wire drawing set up and save a penny.

shear .025 off 23 or 24 gauge stanless would make a rough of what you want. much closer than 3/16" round.

myself I would just pay the price and get the right stuff.

Comment

The part is not critical and $350 is beyond the limits of the project. Trying to find a cheaper route.

Thanks for the idea on shearing some from a flat sheet. I have to check with a friend that has a fab shop and see what he has laying around his shop.

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 06-23-2005).]
      John

Comment

If you roll the stainless steel cold you will work harden it and will have to annel it to do further work with it if you take much of a reduction. The edges won't be flat after rolling but will have a rounded edge. What size are you trying end up with 1/4 x 1/4? Think the cheapest thing to do is buy what you need unless you want something thin that can be sheared.

Joe

Comment

Shearing 1/4" SS will take an effing big shear. It will curl up like a pretzel too. Rolling or drawing it will be nearly impossible unless annealed each pass as mentioned. Change the design.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

As we used say in LA "If it don't go CHROME it!"

Comment

Well, you could saw it off a sheet and then mill it to size...

Boy, that $17 is looking good to me.

And get your estimator a sharper pencil.

Paul A.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
              X